Importing TXT multiple song file

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Importing TXT multiple song file

Postby Perdimia » Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Is it possible to get the ability to import txt files that contain more than one song.

New music books seem to contain files with all the words seperated into individual pages, c
but to cut and paste each individual song is extremely labourious, is there anyway to do it all together?
Perdimia
Junior

Re: Importing TXT multiple song file

Postby brainier » Fri May 22, 2009 9:41 pm

If the book in question is Songs of Fellowship then take a look at http://www.steveprior.plus.com/zionworx/index.htm.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Coracleman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:25 pm

A question on these lines is what led me to register for this forum. I downloaded Zionworx to try it out before we invest in a new system at church and admit I expected it to be easy to upload individual songs and multiple files. We have a directory full of word files for acetates, some powerpoint files and some files including all the songs in a song book and I was expecting to import these quickly and easily. I appreciate the link to Steve Prior's site (I have a feeling my SoF words came on a 3.25 floppy, but it was a while ago) and I expect I can change the word files to txt, but after that is there a simple way to do this?

As a supplemental question - importing an existing database seems to be possible, do people share them as a way of getting others started?
Coracleman
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:53 am

Hi Coracelman,

Importing an existing database is very simple: choose the menu option 'Database->Import...' to start with. Then choose the folder containing the database you want to import from, then choose the songs you want to import (or all of them) then click the 'Import' button.

Hope that helps!

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby vetto » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:24 pm

And pretty sure sharing the database between churches violates the copyright agreement with the song's publisher.

For example, my church pays for the right to use copyrighted songs in our services.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby brainier » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Would it? If you have a valid CCLI licence and I do to, then why are we restricted in the method of transfering song data between us? The licence gives us the right to use the data - nothing (as far as I know) on the method of transmission of the data. And on that, it would be very easy to get out of date if it did restrict - as it might mean that legally it was impossible to do something such as backup my database to the cloud (which I do) or use the cloud to transfer databases between church members so that they can create song lists at home for projection on Sundays.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby vetto » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 pm

If the two chuches both have a ccli number, it is probably fine. but consider this...

Song Select does track downloading of each song, printing of the songs for the congegation, and if you are in a "reporting period" , the use of each song. so even though we both may have paid for a license, the royalties paid to the artist would be different for each of our song collections.

Regardless, I wouldn't give my database to a church without a ccli license number, I feel that is clearly stealing from both our church (that paid for the right to use those songs) and from the copyright holder.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi,

Interesting points of view. For the record, we certainly have no intention of helping anybody to get access to copyrighted song data which they have no licence to project. The very fact that ZW ships without any copyrighted songs shows our commitment to that. But I think it's fundamental for any application like this to have import/export database facilities, for the exact kind of reasons that 'brainer' outlines.

I understand that the online SongSelect service is common in the U.S., but I haven't actually come across a church in the U.K. at least that uses it (in fact is it even available to U.K. users?) so these people keep their own records of songs used in services and fill in a manual report to send to CCLI through the snail mail...
Christian
Site Admin

Postby vetto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:13 pm

I definately see the need for a db export, just not for the purpose of "sharing" between churches without first checking the licenses.

Before ccli, we had to contact the publisher or copyright holder for every song...it was very difficult. This fee service is much better. I just don't want anyone to get in trouble. :)
vetto
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List