When will the next version of ZionWorx be available?

This is for FAQ's only if you have a support question please use the support for V2.0 area.

Please look here before making any contact to us.

You may find the information you are looking for is in here.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

When will the next version of ZionWorx be available?

Postby Christian » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:18 pm

Hi folks,

I've decided to start this thread as a way of keeping you all informed on current progress towards completing v3.0.

I also wanted to give you all an honest explanation of the situation we're facing at the moment, and some idea of where things are heading.

Unfortunately, software development is a slow process. It's even slower when it's a 'spare time' activity, and many other commitments compete for that spare time.

At the moment, there are just 2 people actively developing ZionWorx: myself and (during the past few months) Tim. This means that as soon as we stop for whatever reason, development stops. Edd has also worked like a champion for well over a year now, managing this website, the support forums, and the automated registration facility - and for his contribution we are extremely grateful.

But the truth is that if I think about this whole project too much, I become totally overwhelmed. ZionWorx belongs to God - not to me or anybody else. It was His idea in the first place, not mine - I was just the person He challenged to start the ball rolling. And now the ball has been rolling for well over 2 years. The user base has grown beyond all my expectations - in fact I didn't even have any expectations at the start. Yet there are now thousands of registered users worldwide, and I have done nothing to make that happen.

So, where from here?

Time for some reflection...

I know 4 things for certain which I'd like to share:

1) I believe God wants ZionWorx to continue being developed for His glory, and as a practical service to the worldwide church.

2) There is far too much work here for 2 people to do alone. In fact, even if we worked full-time on it we would be kept very busy.

3) ZionWorx must remain as free software.

4) God's work done in God's way never lacks God's provision - through Him all things are possible.

So, how should we move ZionWorx forward?

At least one user has suggested in the past that it should become an 'open source' project. We've never ruled this idea out, but such a change would bring with it other complications - not least 'management' which would require even more time on our part...

If you have some spare time and share our values, then please consider praying for the needs of this project - asking God to guide us clearly in the direction He wants us to take.

If you have some experience with Windows programming using Borland Delphi, and have the time and desire to get involved, then please get in touch with me by email.

In the meantime, Tim and I will press on developing what we can, when we can for v3.0. I'll close with some food for thought that I read today:

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
"Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"
"Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?"
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!
Amen.

[Romans 11:33-36]

Thanks for reading - please feel free to post any comments in the 'Feedback' forum...

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I just realised that since I started this thread back in November 2004, I haven't actually updated it - sorry!

Well, praise God, things are moving faster than ever before now... so here's an update on the current situation.

Chris Clark joined our development team back in December and has already made some very valuable contributions. We've also had to adjust to team collaboration between the UK and New Zealand - which has proved challenging but is now working very effectively, despite the 12-hour time difference!

ZionWorx v2.5

This will be the name of the next version of ZionWorx.

We decided last month that we should suspend working on more advanced features like video overlay (which we planned for 'v3.0') and instead just focus on getting a new version out that will be most useful and appeal to the widest group of people, as fast as possible.

So, we're aiming to have an integration for beta testing ready by 31st May 2005.

Here's what you can expect:

* Full international Unicode character support.
    * Language-switchable user interface.
    * New database engine with more powerful search feature.
    * Improved 'point-and-click' song navigation.
    * Improved MS PowerPoint support including keyboard control.
    * Miscellaneous small bug fixes.

We are working hard to make this happen and as always would value your prayers.

More news next month!! :)

Bye for now,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Thu May 05, 2005 10:50 am

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that we're still on track with v2.5 and progress is very good. We hope to have a beta integration ready for testing in the next two weeks...

Thanks for your support!

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Tue May 24, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi there all,

Just another quick update on progress:

We're still bug fixing and integrating v2.5 stuff this week - as soon as this is done we'll make an announcement...

We hope beta testing will start next week, but please keep praying for the 8-day week :)

Cheers,
The ZW Team
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Tue May 31, 2005 10:38 am

Hi folks,

Hope you enjoyed the Bank Holiday weekend (if you're in the UK!)

We're a little behind where we hoped to be with current progress, but still on track for finishing a stable integration of v2.5 by the end of this week - then beta testing can start... :)

Thanks for your patience.

The ZW Team.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:10 am

:D

Well, it's 3 day's late, but we've now released v2.5 Beta 1 so that testing can begin!

We have more than enough beta testers now for this phase, so many thanks to those of you have volunteered your time to help.

Hopefully we are only a few weeks away from a stable release of v2.5 now - thanks for your continuing patience!

All the best,
The ZW Team
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:22 am

Hello all,

Just to keep you updated:

Beta testing of v2.5 has gone very well over the past 3 weeks. There have been many issues reported and bugs fixed ;)

We made a 3rd beta release on 19th June and things are looking much more stable now - many thanks to all testers involved!!

There are still a few things we need to fix but a formal release will hopefully be ready by mid-July...

Thanks for your patience!

The ZW Team
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:41 am

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on v2.5:

We're planning a 4th (and final) beta release this week. If this goes well and there are no major problems then we'll be making a formal release of v2.5 during the following week.

Hang in there!

Thanks,
The ZW Team.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:38 am

Hi there,

Just to say we released v2.5 Beta 04 yesterday.

This will be the final beta release - many thanks to all those who have given their time to help with testing over the past two months :)

We've been short on spare time recently (hence delays in this release) but the next release will be the real thing! All registered users will be informed by email when it's ready...

Thanks for your continuing patience - nearly there!

The ZW Team.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Christian » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:46 am

It's done!

ZionWorx v2.5.05 is born :D

Check out the Downloads page for details...

Thanks to everyone involved and for all your patience!

Best wishes from
The ZionWorx Team
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.0 FAQ Area