Using Zionworx 2.5 on a Macbook running WinXP Pro

Report issues for Zionworx V2.5

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Using Zionworx 2.5 on a Macbook running WinXP Pro

Postby David Parry » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

Our church has recently bought a Macbook Intel laptop with the ability to operate WinXP or any other OS in a separate MAC OS-X window using a MAC program called "Parallels".

I have loaded and can run Zionworx OK in the Windows XP window, but the video projector using the RGB port does not switch to the second display, but continues to display what is on the laptop screen.
The Macbook supports dual video output (LCD and video output) but I can't seem to get the projector to display the "second" display. "Video mirroring" is turned on in the MAC environment...

Has anyone solved this problem, or got any ideas?

Thanks
David.
David Parry
Junior

Postby jnimmo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:42 am

Hi David,

I would suggest you try running it through Boot Camp, a piece of software by Apple that allows you to natively run Windows XP without virtualization.

Video Mirroring should actually be turned off in the Mac environment, to give dual monitors, but I suspect even that may not be enough to give the Windows environment dual monitors.

It is important to note that Parallels is still young software, and it doesn't actually look like it supports dual monitors. Would be worth asking on their support forums though.

ZionWorx should run fine for you through Boot Camp, however.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I should have a MacBook arriving any day now, I will try it out when I get mine and let you know how I go.

All the best,
James
jnimmo
Junior

Postby David Parry » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:28 am

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply.
I have already downloaded bootcamp, but have not yet installed it due to time constrainsts. I've also read that running windows at bootup rather than within the MAC OS will be inconvenient if you need to switch between the OSs as we commonly do. It would then require a reboot to then select the other OS. Other comments have also said that XP speed wise, runs well within the OSX window too!

I did manage to find a forum (but can't remember where!) which suggested that the required mac hardware drivers were supposed to be with the mac on the install disks (as OSX itself needs to know what hardware it has installed), but looking at the CDs, I couldn't read them in PC mode as they are in OSX format.... - Too hard to look at with only an hour here or there.

I also spent sometime searching around for info on the hardware itself, but couldn't find anything useful. - So much for the supposed convenience of multiple OSs. (sigh) With all(?) laptops these days used commonly for projection to Powerpoint and the like, I would have thought that the necessity for dual video output would have been imperitive and thus supported by all operating systems - but alas not it seems!

As I don't get to work on the MAC book much with work commitments, and with other people needing to use it through the week, I look forward very much to what you can find out with yours!!

Thanks in advance

David
Melbourne (an ex one eyed Cantabrian from Christchurch!)
David Parry
Junior

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey guys,
i hope you will keep us posted. I am looking at purchasing a new laptop after the first of the year and would love to by a mac with windows Vista but did not know how it would handle Zionworx.
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Hardware issues