Showing a DVD in or outside of ZionWorx session

Report issues for Zionworx V2.5

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Showing a DVD in or outside of ZionWorx session

Postby Rmarshp » Sun May 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi folks,

Anyone out there managed to fathom out how to show a DVD from a laptop/ Digital Projector setup during a service and use ZionWorx.

It'll run on te Laptop but we cannot project it whilst ZionWorx is loaded. Must be something to do with the Dual Monitor business but it's got me beat!

Tried to get round it by using PFCMedia (a fine bit of software!) which allows you to run a DVD etc in a Powerpoint session, but that won't run within ZWx either.

Can anybody help Pleeeeeeeeease!
Rmarshp
Junior

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:32 pm

I run Dvds at the same time as Zionworx using WinDVD. I have to minimize the program and drag it to the projector screen but it works. I also minimize Zionworx. You seem to have to drag the playback program to the projector screen on several versions of worship sofware. I hope this helps
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Postby Rmarshp » Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Thanks for the rapid response James but I'm a bit lost. When you say you minimise WinDVD and drag it to the projector screen - what is this projector screen? Sorry to be a bick thick - I'm a guitarist you see!
Rmarshp
Junior

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Sorry I guess it did not make much sense. First open your dvd software and minimize it on you laptop screen by clicking the square at the top right hand corner of the screen. Mouse Click on the the top of bar of the dvd screen and hold the mouse down and drag the dvd screen from the laptop screen to the screen projected by your projector. This will only work if you are hooked up to a second monitor or projector. You will then maximize the program to fill the whole screen. Also another problem could be that your computer and projector have to be set to the same resolution. We run dvds from a laptop also and it can be a problem sometimes. I recomend that you use a real dvd player and you may have less problems. Hope this makes a little more sense MAYBE. I'm sure some of the other folks may be able to explain it better.
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Postby chris_h62 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 pm

What he means is that when you set your computer to use dual monitors you are effectively extending your desktop so that you have the bit of the desktop which you see on the laptop screen and then another bit that is shown on the projector screen. In practice this means that you can drag programs between the two screens simply by moving them in exactly the same way that you move any other program window about on your normal screen (by clicking and holding on the title bar and moving the cursor).

The best way to see what I mean is to set up the equipment in the normal way, switch everything on (but don't open zionworx) and then start moving the cursor to the sides of the computers screen but KEEP GOING!!! When you do this to one of the sides (by default the right) you should see the cursor appear on the projector screen.

When you've found which direction this happens in, simply open up WinDVD and drag the video window (the one with the DVD playing in it) in that same direction and keep going until it's completely on the projector screen. Now you can maximise it and it should play full screen on the projector, leaving the controls on the computer's screen so the operator can control the DVD.

When using with zionworx, you can either minimise Zionworx and then carry out the dragging across of the WinDVD window, or you can set it up before the service and simply minimize WinDVD during the service with it paused at the right place ready to play. Then just click on WinDVD in the start bar to put it back onto the projector screen, and press play using the controls on the computers screen.

Hope this helps you!!!

Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby Rmarshp » Sun May 07, 2006 9:50 pm

Hey! Really grateful to you both for your advice on this and impressed by your responses so late on a Sunday! I've been messing on with the whole set-up for sbout 6 hours now so I'm going to tackle things afresh in the morning when hopefully my brain will be less scrambled.

Thanks again and God bless you both.

Phil
Rmarshp
Junior

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:51 am

Thanks Chris, I deal with this on my laptop all the time but could not explain it. Give me a computer and it's easy.
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Postby Tony » Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi,

I use Screenmonkey iit's very good! (http://Screenmonkey.co.uk)

With it, I can bring in a PPT, a Video, a DVD or an image.

Other wise I use an a-data video console (cheap) and use a bog standard DVD player.

Tony
Tony
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue May 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi folks,

In case you haven't discovered it, there's also the Ctrl+F9 feature which toggles the display of the ZionWorx presentation screen without needing to minimise the main ZionWorx window.

Careful use of this feature means that you could have a DVD player running maximized on the second screen (but covered by the ZionWorx presentation screen) and then just hit Ctrl+F9 to hide the ZionWorx presentation screen and bring the DVD player into view. When done with the DVD, just toggle the ZionWorx screen back into view with Ctrl+F9 again.

One Limitation: When ZionWorx is in this state with the presentation screen hidden, the preview window will not update.

Hope that all makes sense!

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby mikeyp » Sat May 13, 2006 9:58 am

I don't know if anyone has discovered this, but we use powerdvd... I drag the play back window to the projector screen and fullscreen it, while the playback controls remain on the control screen...

works perfectly.
mikeyp
Intermediate

Postby vetto » Sun May 14, 2006 2:17 am

This has been asked before, and this is how I and others do it.

The Player is called VLC. See thread http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540&highlight=vlc

This thing will play virtually ANYTHING. DVD, VCD, and any other media format almost.

The best part is that when Zionworx is up and has control over the second monitor displaying lyrics/background/black VLC will play the video over the top of it. You dont have to do anything to Zionworx to get the DVD up on the wall. Close VLC and BAM...you are back in the lyrics or whatever.

Below is the config for VLC that will set this up:

1. Firstly update VLC to version 0.85 as it has fixed a number of the bugs in v0.84
2. Edit the shortcut to VLC so that there are no options after vlc.exe
3. Reset VLC's preferences (Then restart VLC)
4. "Settings - Preferences" ... tick "Advanced Options"
4.a. Under Video/Output Modules set "Video output Module" to DirectX.
5. Set display device in "Preferences/Video/Output Modules/DirectX". You will have to press "Refresh List" then select "\.\\DISPLAY2"
6. Set "Full Screen" in "Preferences/Video"
7. Unitck "Embed video in Interface" under "Interface/Main Interfaces/wxWidgets"
8. Click "Save"
9. Restart VLC

Good Luck!
vetto
Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Hardware issues