Setting-Up Dual Monitors - A problem when migrating from V2

Report issues for Zionworx V2.5

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Setting-Up Dual Monitors - A problem when migrating from V2

Postby Tekman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi

We installed version 2.5, into a separate folder, so we could keep version 2, as we have more than one computer operator. This was because we need to inform the other operators about the differences in the new version before moving over to it. I assume that this would not have caused the difficulty I am about to explain.

After installing version 2.5, then there seemed to be a problem with our dual monitor set-up. On launching V2.5 there was a black line at the bottom of the computer monitor screen and I guess this was part of the songs screen. Try as I may, I could not get the songs or PowerPoint to show on the projector monitor/screen. In fact the only way you could get a song to display on the computer monitor (full screen) was by pressing F2. Also the task bar disappeared and if you were lucky, then you could get it back by placing the mouse pointer over onto the projection screen. Incidentally, during all of this the projector screen just kept displaying the Windows Desktop screen; the one displayed on boot-up.

As we have a working system, then I thought it best not to start making changes to our dual monitor set-up (we have to use the system on Sunday 18th September 2005). I remember we had a lot of difficulty in actually getting the 'screens' configured when we initially set-up a new machine that we had purchased about a year ago.

Version 2.0 works fine, in fact just as it has always done, so why is it that version 2.5 cannot use the current dual-monitor set-up that we have?

I even tried uninstalling version 2.5 and then reinstalling it, just in case the instal was corrupted in some way.

In case it is relevant, then we are using an Nvidia graphics card and running under Windows XP version 5.1 service pack 2 build 2600.

Obviously this is a difficult problem to convey here and if anyone wants more information, then I will do my best to provide it. I will have to do this from memory as I do not live at the Church :wink:

Many thanks for any help that can be provided on solving this issue.

Kind regards
Tekman
Technical Consultant
Tiverton Christian Fellowship
Selly Oak - Birmingham - UK
Tekman
Junior

Postby jameshorsley1976 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:09 am

Do not know if this is the same problem but it sounds similar. What I have had to do at times is go up to the display on the tool bar and in the drop down menu hav had to go to toggle second monitor. This put the display on the second monitor. This is the same as hitting F2. It seems to do this after I have been entering new songs. I hope this helps

James Horsley
New Castle Baptist Church
Birmingham, Alabama U.S.
jameshorsley1976
Intermediate

Postby Christian » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:04 am

Hi Tekman,

I think the difference in behaviour here is as follows:

v2.0 was criticised (quite rightly) because it simply locked the position of the presentation screen within the extended desktop. This was limiiting because it meant that you had to position the monitor images (in Windows Display Properties) with the primary monitor on the left of the secondary monitor, and with their top edges aligned. It also meant that you needed to have the same screen resolution on both monitors for things to work nicely.

v2.5 removes this limitation by positioning the operator screen and presentation screen on Monitor1 and Monitor2 as they are defined by Windows Display Properties In other words, in Display Properties you could position Monitor2 above Monitor1 and v2.5 should handle it perfectly.

So, why has this affected your setup? I'm not quite sure! But it's related to all this stuff: positioning of monitors in Display Properties and the way that v2.5 will put the operator screen on Monitor1 (as defined by Windows) and the presentation screen on Monitor2, whereas v2.0 didn't even bother to check this!

I hope this helps in some way - we should be able to get to the bottom of it I'm sure :wink:

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Peter Sampson » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:22 pm

I have exactly the same problem as outlined in the first message of this thread. Is the cause/solution now known?

Regards,

Peter
Peter Sampson
Junior

Postby Christian » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Hello Peter,

Yes, I think we understand the cause of this problem as I explained above.

Please give some detail about how your monitors are arranged in Windows Display Properties (Settings tab), especially their relative positions. Try clicking the 'Identify' button as well to confirm your understanding of which display is which according to Windows.

Then hopefully we can help you sort this out...

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Peter Sampson » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm

Christian,

I'm not in front of the system at the moment so I am trying to remember the details - hopefully enough to give you a clue! An AMD system (approx 900MHz) running XP, 256MB memory, two graphics cards. An AGP Rage Fury and a ATI Rage mounted in PCI slot 5. The PCI card is denoted as the primary in the BIOS settings because otherwise the card will not start. This seems to be a recognised method. In Display Settings the AGP card is denoted as primary and the PCI as secondary. As far as I can tell XP is perfectly happy with this and everything seems to work ok at the desktop and with other applications such as Word and OpenOffice 2.0. Physically the monitor off the AGP is on the left and the projector (off the PCI) is on the right and this is how it is displayed in Display Settings.
Hope this helps,

Peter
Peter Sampson
Junior

Postby Adz_vl » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:38 am

I am having the same issue here. I am previewing the software for potential use at my church

The issue is that to set up 2 seperate video cards the PCI video card needs to boot in bios, so when windows loads up it loads the AGP video card and marks it as the 2nd screen.

This means that the program open up on the 2nd screen with output display behind it.

I am having even more of an issues than that as i have somhow managed to get the output screen over the top of the control screen and cant get back to it.
Last edited by Adz_vl on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adz_vl
Junior

Setting up dual monitors

Postby Peter Sampson » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Is there anyone else that has encountered this problem and has identified a solution? I really would like to upgrade to v2.5 but until this is solved I can't. Further feedback would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Sampson
Junior

Postby danparkes » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:24 pm

My appologies if the following is incorrect at all but my understanding of Windows XP is that the two graphics cards must be of the same type i.e. both AGP or both PCI and I have tried a number of options of using both card types without success. Therefore a setup with Windows XP can be interesting as there is normally only 1 AGP slot in the computer. With Windows 98 and Windows 2000 you can mix the card types.

The solution on our backup desktop system is a motherboard with built in graphics (by default this is PCI architecture) with a PCI graphics card as well.
danparkes
Junior

Postby Peter Sampson » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Thanks for your quick response. What confuses me is that XP appears to be quite happy with our setup. It recognises both graphic adapters and within XP I can denote the AGP mounted card as the primary and the PCI as secondary. Extended screen seems to work fine - I can drag icons and other program windows to screen 2 okay. It seems to be only v2.5 that has the problem, as v2.0 is also working fine.

Peter
Peter Sampson
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Hardware issues