Backgrounds for the visually impaired

If you are using Zionworx v2.5 and would like to comment feel free to post your comments here

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Backgrounds for the visually impaired

Postby John Parkin » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:59 pm

We have been using ZW for six months and to great effect, thank you very much the ZW Development Team.

I have been conservative with backgrounds and fonts in order to maintain maximum visibility, especially for those who may have a visual impairement. I have discovered a few things:

a) Verdana is a very readable font, particularly for dyslexics.
b) Emboldening does not make text more readable, better to not be bold and use a larger font size.
c) Shadowing and outlining should be avoided.
d) The visually impaired can generally read black on yellow best.

I was extremely pleased to be told this morning that a visually impaired lady in our church can actually read the screen better than the alternative large print order of service/hymn book.

I hope these discoveries help!
Regards
John Parkin
Victoria Hall, The Bolton Methodist Mission.
John Parkin
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:29 am

Good to hear of your discoveries John - thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby webmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:20 am

Great advice, thanks for the tip's

We have found a v.dark blue backgroud with Yellow text works far better than light background as the brightnes of the background can impare vision.

Infact a training session on this kind of thing activly suggested it was a better thing to do.

We always use it this way as we have several impared people wih vision prolems.

But in the end what works for some may not work for others

Trial and error basically.
Regards
Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby danparkes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:19 pm

I found a book called "Beyond the OHP" by Jackie Sheppard to be extremely useful. It's full of advice on using worship software, with some case studies and examples of how other people use it and what works best for them. It also covers websites and streaming services live on the Internet.

One of the things I found useful for work is a website that lets you check images and websites for people with colourblindness.

The site is at http://www.vischeck.com

A word on this, do not use red or green on the same screen as it will look yellow for those with colourblindess. This is very useful to know when using presentation software for things such as liturgy where the leader will say one bit in one colour and the congregation will say another bit in another colour. There is another form of colour blindness but I understand it is quite rare. However, the Internet will have more information.

Like all good plugs I suppose I should say that other books and resources may also be available, I just found these ones to be useful.
danparkes
Junior

Return to Zionworx Feedback V2.5