Using () in song titles

If you are using Zionworx v2.5 and would like to comment feel free to post your comments here

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Using () in song titles

Postby Joff » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:00 am

I have used version 2 of Zionworx quite happily. One of the Titles I used was: " (Blank) " with brackets. This was used for, surprisingly, a blank page, so we could display a custor background for welcoming people to service etc. I upgraded software to version 2.5, but now I am not allowed to use () in song titles, and once added they cannot be deleted from the database or called up on screen, but they remain in the song title list. I've vow upgraded to version 2.5.06 and sadly the problem remains :(
Is it possible to rectify this small problem? :)
Joff
Junior

I'm using brackets in the song title

Postby stevefaber » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:14 pm

I'm successfully using brackets in my song titles, but not as the first character. The standard I am using is to have the first line of the song followed by the book and number as the main title - for example:
All hail the power of Jesus name (MP13), and using the same book name and number - MP0013 - as the alternative title. Then, if the worship leader says "let's sing..." the ZW operator can easily find the song lyrics.

Back to your original problem - I added a song called "(blank)" to my database successfully, but now I can't delete it! When I try, I get an error dialog saying "Title (blank) could not be found." followed by another dialog saying "Unable to delete record in database:"

The first message is also returned if I try to display the "song", followed by a message "List index out of bounds (0)"

Incidentally, I also tried adding a space before the bracket and got the same problem - ZW stripped the initial space automatically it seems!

Bottom line, until an update to ZW allows that opening bracket as the first character, don't try it at home!

Steve
stevefaber
Junior

I have now deleted the (blank) song!

Postby stevefaber » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 pm

Post script to my previous post(!)

I have managed to delete the "song" called (blank) now, by selecting its alternative title in the Available Songs list.
stevefaber
Junior

Postby mikeyp » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:14 pm

erm, why can't you use the blank screen button at the top
there are 3 buttons, one is black out, one is background only, and one is display song words. You can also press the red X below the verses to "unload" the currently displaying song.
mikeyp
Intermediate

Postby Joff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:21 am

erm, why can't you use the blank screen button at the top
there are 3 buttons, one is black out, one is background only, and one is display song words. You can also press the red X below the verses to "unload" the currently displaying song.

It's to do with displaying custom backgrounds (eg. a welcome screen/notices/"Please listen to the Word of God") without having to change the backgrounds to the regular songs 'on the fly'. We do not want just a blank screen, neither do we want the regular song background (currently a sunset) but with no lyrics. Although we have saved a blank screen in the song list using the title 'BLANK', this sorts it into alphebetical order within the song list (which we want to avoid). In the old version (2) we were able to save a song title using the formula '(blank)' and having that appear at the top of the song title list. Although i'm probably being too fussy (I apologise), it was a 'feature' available in version 2 which has unfortunately disappeared in version 2.5.

This is also a similar reason why I posted in the wish list why I would like to see the ability to add folders to the song title list for segregating just such items. Iwould like the ability to add Christmas Carols and Hymns to a seperate folder (segregating them from the regular worship songs) as they are used at only certain services during the year. Again, at pesent, Christmas carols are titled using the formula 'Xmas O Come All Ye Faithful', so that the title list puts them somewhere near the bottom, but within easy reach ;)
Joff
Junior

Postby webmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:33 am

Good Day to you.

I use PPT for a blank song display at beginneing of worship and end f worship this seems easier than a blank song in the main list.

Also Splitting up songs in folders does not help at all as our song book has all the songs we need for christmas bunched in as well.

Making it harder to search through songs.

We use this key before the soongs title.

SOF = Songs of Fellowship
SAUK = Salvation Army Song Book UK
SAC = Salvation Army Chourus Section
MAG = Magnify
EW = Easy Worship
YP = General unbooked Young Peoples Songs
CW = Childrens Worship Material Songs.

This means anyone going to the media desk wants a song from say songs of fellowpship numbe 33 all they have to do is type in SOF0033

We use 4 numbers as SOF have ahabit of bringing new books out.

This will take them to the song directly.

Hope this may help in splitting up your songs.

Regars
Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Joff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:53 am

Making it harder to search through songs.

I would have imagined that having a folder exclusively for Christmas carols would make it far easier for users to search for their song requirements. What would be unnecessary is having folders for titles beginning with 'A', 'B', 'C', etc. Just for carols, maybe Hymns (which are not usually sung 'on the fly'. Of course worship choruses should remain unaffected, allowing freedom for the worship leader.

We do not use a book at our fellowship but allowing users a preference to use folders for such songs (carols) which are only used at one time of the year would be a help. It doesn't work for everyone, but some might like this method ;)
Joff
Junior

Postby Joff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:55 am

I suppose it all depends on how large the congregation is ;)

I worship at a reletively small church ;)
Joff
Junior

Postby webmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:50 am

We have 40 to 50 attend on big events we can have upto 100

So I don't know how this compares

Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Joff » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:16 pm

Are you fellowshipping at Ely Christian Fellowship?

We have about the same in attendance :)
Joff
Junior

Postby webmaster » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:29 pm

No, Histon Salvation Army.

http://www.histonsalvationarmy.co.uk

Edd
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby paulstokes » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:57 pm

I've been using the minus sign '-' for these kind of 'blank' songs...
- Welcome -
- Blank -
- Sermon -
...etc. I found I had to enter some text (a full stop is sufficient), but was then able to have an intelligble running order on the screen for the operator, with distinctive backgrounds for each section.

Using the '-' means that they are all grouped at the start of the songlist, too.
paulstokes
Senior

Postby Williamting » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:06 pm

I am making use of the alternate title facility and prefix the song (or whatever) with numeric or codes similar to what Edd is using. In this way, the songs (or whatever) appears in the main listing and also in a pseudo folder kind of situation.
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Joff » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:01 pm

paulstokes wrote:I've been using the minus sign '-' for these kind of 'blank' songs...
- Welcome -
- Blank -
- Sermon -
...etc. I found I had to enter some text (a full stop is sufficient), but was then able to have an intelligble running order on the screen for the operator, with distinctive backgrounds for each section.

Using the '-' means that they are all grouped at the start of the songlist, too.

Thanks Paul. I'll give this a go :)
Joff
Junior

Postby paulstokes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm

Hey Edd,
I took part in a Holiday Club at Histon Baptist whilst training at Westminster College, Cambridge. ...had to come in as Peter (just after he jumped out of the boat), and therefore tipped a bucket of water over my head just before entering the church!

...memories!...
paulstokes
Senior

Next

Return to Zionworx Feedback V2.5