How do I use the new Song Control Interface?

A new Faq area for a new Verison of Zionworx

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

How do I use the new Song Control Interface?

Postby chris_h62 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:38 pm

Being able to control the currently loaded/displaying song confidently and professionally is the key to using ZionWorx to its full potential. In this FAQ I aim to explain how to use the new song control interface that gives the user more control than ever before.

Once a song has been added to the Play List and loaded, all of its lyrics will be displayed in the Â?Current SongÂ? box (on the right of the Operator Screen). ZionWorx will automatically word-wrap the lyrics so that they will fit perfectly on the screen when displayed, no matter what font size or style is currently selected.

How the song is broken up
The current song is broken into verse sections based on the blank lines in the song, with each verse section split by a solid black line. The program will also calculate exactly how many lines of text will fit on the screen with the current Font and style settings and will split the actual verse into a number of sub-sections if necessary. These split points are shown as dashed lines and can be moved up and down using the Â?Move previous verse split point upÂ? and Â?Move next verse split point downÂ? buttons (below the song lyrics). To move the split point up, click in the section below the split point and click the Â?Move previous verse split point upÂ? arrow and to move it down click in the section above the split point and click the Â?Move next verse split point downÂ? arrow.

Navigating around the Song
The program will highlight a suggested section to be displayed on the screen next. To confirm this suggestion all you need do is hit 'Enter' or 'Space'; click the tick icon (below the lyrics); or double click the suggested section. The selected text will then change highlight colour to a black background with white text, and be displayed in the display preview area and on the Monitor/Projector if Display status is set to Â?Show Background and TextÂ?. At the same time, the section immediately after that currently displayed is highlighted awaiting confirmation to be displayed. The user confirms this, when ready, in the same way as before.

At any point you can override the lyrics that are suggested and select other sections by using the up/down section buttons beneath the box; by using the up/down arrow keys; or using the page up/page down keys. You can also click on a section with the mouse, thus highlighting it awaiting confirmation to display - double clicking it will immediately display the selected text in the presenter and suggest the section immediately following.

Another navigation method is to type the number of the verse that you want to display and press enter. However, this works differently in different circumstances (See Below)

Using Section numbers to navigate through the song
The Song Control Interface automatically numbers each section of the song and this number is displayed to the left of the lyrics. To navigate to a particular section, simply enter the number (using the keyboard) and press Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ? while the number you have entered is displayed above the song lyrics. The section will then be immediately displayed. For numbers above 9 simply enter the 1st number quickly followed by the 2nd and then press Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ?.

Note: The functionality of section numbers change for songs where the user has entered verse numbers with the song lyrics. (See Below)

Using User defined verse numbers to navigate through the song
Using section numbers to navigate the song works as above unless the user has numbered the verses when entering the song onto the user database. See the song below:

ZW Section Number----- Lyrics (as entered)
---------(1)---------------- 1) I love to tell the story
------------------------------ of unseen things above,
------------------------------ of Jesus and his glory,
------------------------------ of Jesus and his love.
------------------------------ I love to tell the story,
------------------------------ because I know 'tis true;
------------------------------ it satisfies my longings
------------------------------ as nothing else can do.

---------(2)---------------- Chorus:
------------------------------ 'twill be my theme in glory,
------------------------------ to tell the old, old story
------------------------------ of Jesus and his love.

---------(3)---------------- 2) I love to tell the story;
------------------------------ more wonderful it seems
------------------------------ than all the golden fancies
------------------------------ of all our golden dreams.
------------------------------ it did so much for me;
------------------------------ and that is just the reason
------------------------------ I tell it now to thee.

---------(4)---------------- 3) I love to tell the story;
------------------------------ 'tis pleasant to repeat
------------------------------ what seems, each time I tell it,
------------------------------ more wonderfully sweet.
------------------------------ for some have never heard
------------------------------ the message of salvation
------------------------------ from God's own holy Word.

---------(5)---------------- 4) I love to tell the story,
------------------------------ for those who know it best
------------------------------ seem hungering and thirsting
------------------------------ to hear it like the rest.
------------------------------ And when, in scenes of glory,
------------------------------ I sing the new, new song,
------------------------------ 'twill be the old, old story
------------------------------ that I have loved so long.

As you can see from this, Verse 3 is automatically labelled section 4 by ZionWorx because it is the 4th section (separated by single line breaks). However, it makes more sense to enter Â?3Â? to get to verse 3 and ZionWorx implements this logic. See below.

Key press sequence ------------------------------------------Result

Â?3Â? then Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ? within 1 second ------------------------ Verse 2 (Section 3) is displayed

Â?3Â? then wait more than 1 second then Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ?------- Verse 3 (Section 4) is displayed

Â?cÂ? then Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ?---------------------------------------------- Chorus (Section 2) is displayed

In summary, pressing the user defined verse number and waiting until the number display (above the song lyrics) disappears before pressing Â?EnterÂ? or Â?SpaceÂ? displays the verse with the corresponding number and not the ZionWorx section with that number. To navigate back to the Chorus, simply press Â?cÂ? then Â?EnterÂ?. N.B. If the chorus section is not labelled Â?ChorusÂ? then the letter used to navigate to that section is the 1st letter of the 1st line of that section and NOT Â?cÂ?.

This type of song navigation sounds more complicated than it is, so play around an see how it performs under different circumstances.

Most Importantly, familiarise yourself with how ZionWorx performs with the songs you are going to display BEFORE going live.

Hope this all makes sense and hopes everyone to use ZionWorx v2.5 to itÂ?s full capacity.

Peace,
Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 FAQ's