Song Database

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Song Database

Postby Ray » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:41 am

I have recently started to look at Zionworx with a view to replaceing our Powerpoint.
We have lots of songs, would it be possible to have multiple database files open at same time? This would help where the same song name appears in different song books
Ray
Junior

I do not know but would that be too confusing

Postby zer0burn316 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:28 pm

:shock: i do not know if you can do that but just in thinking about it, i am wondering if that would be too confusing, i prefer to have everything organized in one huge data base verses multiple data bases, but that is me, it may be a good thing to have if others need it, i just think i would not use it. i would just get to confused when looking for what i want know what i mean.
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby Williamting » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:57 am

When I first use Zionworx, I thought I need what you have suggested but finally figured that it is too confusing to manage so many dbs. What I have done is this: Copy the song title and prefix the title with a code, eg, UMH for United Methodist Hymnal, SA for Salvation Army, etc and paste it into the Alternative Title (use MSAccess Update Query).

By doing this, I have an entry of the actual title in alphabetical order and an entry ordered according to the song book.

Note that during import, duplicated song title will not be imported.

Hope the above helps.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

hey

Postby zer0burn316 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:08 pm

:shock: hey there i just wanted to say that no matter who uses the software it must be organized in a way that when you the data entry person uses it you know your system, but also it has to be simple enough for the one who does not know your system to be able to locate things easily and quickly as well. that is why i use the code system in main title, then just hte name in alternative name. maybe this adds to the help here maybe not just an idea
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Multiple Databases

Postby intuitas » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:58 pm

Ray,

William's suggestion (or Zeroburn's variation) represents an excellent solution to providing full access to all your songs without needing to vary the content on the fly.

An alternative that you might like to consider if you really want to use several databases is to maintain the songs.dbf file as a temporary repository for the songs you want to use from service to service.
You will have to be a little careful - first store a full copy of the original (plus its dbt file) somewhere safe. Rename the copy of both files in the ZionWorx directory then restart ZionWorx. This should create a new blank songs.dbf (and dbt) into which you can then import required songs from any of your databases as needed either prior to or during the service. If you want to start afresh each time then simply delete the songs.dbf (& dbt) files after each use - or leave it accumulating to build up a "frequently used" repertoire.

If possible try this out on a separate machine to get the feel for it.

God bless,

Paul
intuitas
Senior

that worx too

Postby zer0burn316 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:39 pm

:shock: that worx too, as for me and my ministry we can only handle one database te users just get to far gone and start pulling wrong songs and all, so i just set a system that is easy for me users to use, hope this helps
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List