Service List

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Service List

Postby AliBy » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:47 am

I would want a service list to be able to include "QuickNotes" and "Presentations" so that you can set it all up prior to (the day before) the meeting. (When the bible lookup & display is added to the program it will be good to be able to save references as well)

We will occationally have spontaneous / prophetic song. At the mometn I would use the "QuickNote" to add the words sung so that the people can join in in response. Editing a note is important for speed. If I can add a new line or verse while the other lines are being projected it will stream line the projection and not be distracting.
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby intuitas » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:41 pm

Perhaps we don't have quite as much visual structure as other people but it only takes me a few minutes before the service to set up the service list.

If I want to include liturgy or scripture which has been pre-determined I simply prepare a new 'song' with a numeric prefix to the title which sorts to the top of the song list for inclusion in the service list.

We will gradually include almost all the songs we might anticipate being brought into worship spontaneously and yes use "Quick Note" for anything prophetic or "unknown".

Having a naturally conservative approach to displaying text without fancy backgrounds or other distractions makes this fairly straightforward.

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Postby Christian » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:19 pm

I agree that it would be more useful for the Service List to fully capture the running order of the service, and this is going to get more complicated in v3.0 when we'll need to manage DVD clips, Bible passages and other such items. We need to rethink the 'Service List' in order to support these new features anyway...
Christian
Site Admin

I agree Christian

Postby zer0burn316 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:00 pm

:shock: I agree totally Christian, but in rethinking this, keep in mind the less the operator has to do the more professional it will be, like media shout, the way i come up with new ideas is when i go to a church i find out what they use and get the name, then i get the demo from the web and test it out and then see what i like in that program and add it to your wish list. the software itself is copyrighted, but the ideas to add to zionworx is not LOL
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby intuitas » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:10 pm

Hi Christian,

I gather that the current Service List operates as a small database table containing the song name (as the index key linked to the song database) plus the meta data elements to be applied to the text retrieved when the song is "loaded". Any Quick Note created has its name added to the keyed index with the text being stored in a separate temporary table.
(Sorry for the term "table" - just shows my Rbase and Access history).

In all of this I have presumed that the text (lyrics) for songs in the Service List remains in the Songs database until loaded into the preview pane and is not stored in the Service List. To do otherwise would be unnecessary duplication. Thus saving the Service List for future retrieval pre-supposes that items listed can be successfully keyed to available data in the songs database. Hence the Service List can't be saved while it contains links to the transient Quick Notes. I have just tested this by adding a new song to the database, adding the name to a service list and saving that list, deleting the song, retrieving the service list and checking the display for the (now) non-existent song. Fortunately all that happens is that the last song added to the database is displayed (even though it bears no resemblance to the deleted song). When the song is reinstated to the database the service list link then correctly displays it again. I imagine that attempting to retrieve a non-existent powerpoint presentation might cause the whole system to crash.

Would it therefore be possible to save the Service List including items such as Quick Notes , Presentations, Video Clips and References BUT when the service list is retrieved to have any items not "found" greyed out until they ar made available to the system. This would act as a visual reminder to open all the presentations necessary to running the service.
Any items remaining unavailable could of course be deleted from the retrieved service list but could not be "loaded".

I wasn't sure whether to bring this up again or not, but since we are talking of changes to the service list, I would still like some visual indication of which items in the list have default attributes (meta data) and which have been assigned current attributes (as set out in my post current/default settings in this forum).

Regards,

Paul
intuitas
Senior

I agree with Paul

Postby zer0burn316 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:17 pm

:shock: hey there i just wanted to share that i agree with what Paul is saying and show support in his statements above. anyways that is all.
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List