Easy Backup

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Easy Backup

Postby brainier » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 pm

With reference to a few posts on this forum (inc. http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=786 recently) an easy backup option to USB key (with maybe upload to internet FTP URL) would be a good product addition.

The above post points out that the database is in a hidden folder, and though getting to the location is easy (unhide, or just type in the path in Explorer), having a backup option would be good becuase it would backup the correct files whilst Zionworx is running.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Re: Easy Backup

Postby vetto » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Agreed. As a professional Sysadmin, I can tell you that right now I feel like we are working without a net. I have a backup, but the average user of the system would be greatly served by a backup action in the menu.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby Christian » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:17 am

Agreed. This is a good idea and something I hoped to get in before the last release but time escaped us. Please discuss here how you would like to see this working and we can hammer out a 'spec'. It should be simple to implement...

As well as a 'backup' feature I guess we'll need a matching 'restore' feature - and then there's scheduled backups, backup alerts etc. Boy, we could really go to town on this one! How about we call them 'restore points' and let M$ sue us :D

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby brainier » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am

A spec:

1. Backup: A menu entry for ad-hoc backups and an general preference setting for an automated backup on close. Maybe for the automated backup to include an upload to an FTP site if the ZW computer is connected to the internet (and on the FTP connection, deleting the oldest backup and renaming the current, then uploading the new backup). In general preferences have options for # of backups to store, FTP server, URL to backup folder, username and password (and storing password in ini file encrypted). The menu entry for backup shows all the removable devices on the machine and allows backup to a USB key on demand.

2. Restore: Probably a seperate program, unless ZW when running can detach from current db and restore. Maybe to include download of backup from FTP site and restore, or selecting USB key and showing list of found backups on the key. User chooses which backup to use for both the FTP and the key if more than one backup is found.

3. System Restore. This feature of Windows uses VSS backups. If a VSS backup writer for TurboDB exists then you can create the backup quicker than it takes to type backup (and I type quickly). Then to do restores you just do a VSS restore. Once the backup is created, a second process moves this to offline media.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby vetto » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:40 am

spec:
1. manual backup option from the menu
2. automatic backup
2.a. No user intervention
2.b. Configurable via preferences
3. Backups (manual and automated) must be able to be stored to local machine any drive letter, optionally off-localhost.
4. No administrative permissions or rights required to perform backup
5. Prompt on close for Backup (details of which are the same as the automated backup in prefs)
6. Option in prefereces to force backup on close
7. Database Consistancy check performed prior to backup
8. Manual Restore option from menu
9. Restore prompt on startup of database cannot load
10. Restore requires administrative rights (via database password)
11. Option to restore database if password no longer known (make this a pain for the user to do... :) )
12. Restore requires version check of ZW main

thats all I can think of for now...
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List