multiple song database

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

multiple song database

Postby Cranbrook Pete » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:03 pm

A multiple database works well!
We are fortunate in having bought Creative Lifestyle "Presentation Manager 5" a few years ago and the program allows you to creat "x" number of song data bases that can be accessed by clicking on the appropriatley named tag.
This is very useful as our worship team tend to adapt songs to the way they want to sing them. I have named one of the song databases after our church. and this holds all the songs that we use and the way we want to present them.
By doing this I can all ways refer back to the original songs in our other databases and still have "our" version seperate.
This also means that I do not have to search over 5000 hyms / songs etc in one database and I can more easily backup the various databases.
I would like to be able to have the same facility in Zionworx! - Why?
Because trying to get people trained in using our exsisting program is extremely hard as many find it to complicated, and your program seems very much simpler to train people on.

I noticed that you can add folders to the back gound tab and therefore create different types of backgound, so why not provide the same facility for the "Songs" tab?
Cranbrook Pete
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:07 pm

Under file\preferences, you can select a different database, so you can have many databases although only one can be used at a time. Would help on back up.
I'm not sure what your overall wish is though, do you want to be able to select from mulitple databases at the same time?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby Cranbrook Pete » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:42 am

Jonathan Hills wrote:Under file\preferences, you can select a different database, so you can have many databases although only one can be used at a time. Would help on back up.
I'm not sure what your overall wish is though, do you want to be able to select from mulitple databases at the same time?

Thanks Jonathan. :) I did investigate your suggestion when I first reseached this program, but it entails rebooting the program. At present with the program we use I can switch databases by clicking a tab, and I have instant access to five bible databases and six song databases. I can also add or subtract databases.
This also means that I can access and display different bible translations and also original and modified songs.
So once our worship group have decided on a particular style or presentaion of a song I don't have to edit it again, and more importantly I can go back to the original song writers text if reqiured.
We keep all the songs that we sing, wether modified or in original format in our "church" database.
This is why I was suggesting in my original post that it would be useful to convert the "Songs" tab in Zionworx to show multi-databases, with instant access. After all Zionworx has multi "Image" databases!

Regards

Peter Fabian :)
Cranbrook Pete
Junior

Postby brainier » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:27 pm

It's a nice idea. It would also allow a database per hymnbook - avoiding issues when two books have the same song name but it's not the same song!

Or what about just a tabbed display of songs by category. This means single database, just you could limit search or song display to a given category. This would probably be programatically easier as well as its just another column in the songs table and a new categories table.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Cranbrook Pete » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:45 pm

brainier wrote:It's a nice idea. It would also allow a database per hymnbook - avoiding issues when two books have the same song name but it's not the same song!

Or what about just a tabbed display of songs by category. This means single database, just you could limit search or song display to a given category. This would probably be programatically easier as well as its just another column in the songs table and a new categories table.

That is exactly what I do at the moment. Our church has over the past one hundred years used different hymn and song books. I have therefore given the "song book name" to each tab, and our "church initials" with our own versions of songs to the remaining tab. Whatever we play or sing is copied to "our" tab and I can switch between any of the tabs and access songs instantly.

The song book named tabs hold all the songs from the particular book that we have used in the past, and it has taken about two years to copy all the songs across. In the case of "Songs of Fellowship" this was bought with the program, but something like "The Baptist Hymnal" we have had to type in the appropriate hymn as and when reqiured.
Cranbrook Pete
Junior

Return to Zionworx Wish List