Another glitch with copyright display

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Another glitch with copyright display

Postby zbnet » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:17 am

I've noticed that when a song has Author info entered but no Copyright entry (which might be true for an old hymn out of copyright) that the copyright info is not displayed at the bottom of the screen - I need to add text to the Copyright section to get it to display the author onscreen.

Perhaps you could add another tickbox option to select whether Author info is displayed or not when the Copyright info is blank?
zbnet
Junior

Postby mikeyp » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:16 pm

I believe the work around it to put in "Public Domain"

just a thought though
maybe the blank character would make it appear...
hold the alt key and type 255 which should insert a blank character.
mikeyp
Intermediate

Postby wes » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Another issue is the the standard text insert before the author's name says ' words and music by' but in the case of some songs (especially the older hymns) this is nearly always not case that words and music are from the same author.

For the time being, I have addressed this by showing the words author first and then following a colon, I type in the word "music:" followed by the name of the tune (if relevant) and then composers name.

Maybe a future enhancement could offer tick boxes against the author detail to select 'words by' or 'words and music by' ?

Finally, I already get round the no display of author details for older songs by using the words 'Public Domain'. If I'm not 100% sure (eg. some of the American gospel songs of the early / mid 20th century where copyright ownership is unclear and where words have been copied from 50+ year old song books when copyright was rarely considered....) then I insert the words 'Copyright Control' which I believe potentially covers my inability to trace copyright holders .

Wes
wes
Junior

Postby paulstokes » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 am

The current CCLI leaflet says this:-

Am I free to use Copyright Control / Author Unknown songs?
NO. CCLE cannot give permission to reproduce words of these songs because the owner cannot be traced. If you reproduce these words it is at YOUR OWN DISCRETION, and you should be prepared to pay royalties for that use, should the owner become known.

Note that thei comment relates to whether or not the CCL license covers this reproduction - it does not. And therefore they are making it absolutely clear that choosing to deal with Copyright Control / Author Unknown songs is not something they legislate or deal with. It is totally up to us as users.

Quite probably, especially if the author is long-dead and their Estate shows no interest / awareness, then it'll all be fine. But be alert to the fact that reproducing these songs is done at our own risk, and we cannot say "But I have a license."
Plymstock United Church
http://www.plymstock.org.uk
paulstokes
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List