bible

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

GNB should be public domain

Postby onefff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:57 pm

The GNB should be available to you (it would be really useful if ZW 3.0 had it in). If you go to the e-sword website, there are about 30 versions of the bible there (including the message!).
To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer!
onefff
Junior

Postby spirelli » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am

So what about New International Version?
I think if that is not possible we will have to for out the money to buy Songpro. But is not decided yet :)
spirelli
Junior

Postby chris_h62 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:25 am

As I understand it, there is Copyright issues with the New International Version. The company that owns the rights to it very rarely give permission for it to be used without charging and hence it cannot be included in zionworx. I think that's right - anyone?
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Yes - Zondervan (the people that do NIV, NLT plus a few other translations) are very copyright-focussed. Another worship presentation program has the NIV translation able to be included with the program for an additional US$29 so that is perhaps something that the Zionworx team could investigate but for now is not a priority.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Chunky » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:39 pm

It may be worth trying to work out what format the eSword bibles are in?
- as e-sword is a wonderful piece of free bible software.
(and another i use ;-)

http://www.e-sword.net

Who knows, it may even be possible to convert not just the bibles, but the commentaries also?

Chunks
Chunky
Junior

Postby Christian » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:58 am

Hi Chunks,

We already investigated that route a while ago, but we're trying to source Bible texts more officially now.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but we are hoping to secure permission to freely distribute GNB, CEV and ESV (similar to NIV) with the next version of ZionWorx, as well as public domain translations e.g. KJV, WEB etc.

As Chris says, the NIV is a different story! If we can get permission to distribute NIV for use with ZionWorx then it will definitely not be free.

More information soon once we have some news....
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Chunky » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:09 am

Personally, I tend to use the NIV for study, but my favourite to read has to be the BBE (Bible in Basic English), MSG (The Message) and failing to get an NIV, the WEB (world English Bible) is very close to the NIV.

Chunks
Chunky
Junior

Postby webmaster » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:05 pm

We use NIV all the time however an import from biblegateway seems to sort out having to type out every sunday.

My number 1 bible site is http://www.biblegateway.com

However the church machine is not internet connected so this has to be done from home.

Regards
Edd Stonham
ZionWorx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby dgillham » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:19 am

I use the Power Bible, which is installed on my PC. It has numerous translations available side by side including NIV

Power BibleCD is Copyright 2002 by Online Publishing, Inc.
127 N. Matteson Street PO Box 21, Bronson, MI 49028
bible@mail.com
dgillham
Junior

Postby webmaster » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:10 pm

We are in discussions with the copyright owners of the NIV translation.

I will let you know more when/If we manage to secure use of this translation.

I would not expect NIV to be a Free Add-In as I expect we (users) will have to pay royalty's.

Regards
Edd Stonham
ZionWorx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Dali » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:32 am

There is a very important (atleast for me) issue to consider. When doing your own implementation of the bible, you're making it harder for us in a small country like Sweden to get our hands on a version in our own language.
Not everyone speaks english, there must be a lot of ZW users out there who would love to get a version of ZW with the bible in their own language.
Why not make a plugin that can use different bible translations from e.g. The Sword Project?
Pingstkyrkan in Habo, Sweden
Dali
Junior

Postby webmaster » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:52 am

We would still need full copyright permission from the bible translation owners and also copyright permission from Esword as well.

We know how esword bibles are implemented as we have looked at them. however adding features such as these have legal consequences and we need to look at all the options before we can promise anything.

We have to be on the right side of the law as hefty fimes can be imposed on us as a software providor.

In the end we all do this for Free and for the Glory of God we would not be willing to loose our homes for not doing it right.

Regards
Edd Stonham
webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Dali » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:24 pm

webmaster wrote:We would still need full copyright permission from the bible translation owners and also copyright permission from Esword as well.

We know how esword bibles are implemented as we have looked at them. however adding features such as these have legal consequences and we need to look at all the options before we can promise anything.

We have to be on the right side of the law as hefty fimes can be imposed on us as a software providor.

In the end we all do this for Free and for the Glory of God we would not be willing to loose our homes for not doing it right.

Regards
Edd Stonham
webmaster

I'm not talking about E-sword. If you click on the link in my last post, you would see that I'm talking about The Sword Project, which is not the same thing... Please, atleast take a look at it.

Hopefully, you will use General Bible Format (GBF), Theological Markup Format (ThML) or Open Scriptural Information Standard (OSIS), so that we ,the users, can use ready made translations.
Dali
Junior

Postby webmaster » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:35 pm

even though it is open source the bible translations are not.

We still need to be legal and get permission from those guys as well as the copyright holders of the bible formats to use with our software.

I am in contact with most publishers and will try and get other translations in non english versions.

Regards
Edd Stonham
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Dali » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:50 pm

Ok. Will ou be using one of the standard markup languages?
The sooner you post information about this, the sooner we can get started on working with translations.
I don't see any reason why you should have to do all the work. If you post some info, we (users in small countries) can help with translation and contacts with publishers.
Dali
Junior

PreviousNext

Return to Zionworx Wish List