bible

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Postby Christian » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi Dali and Edd,

OK - I appreciate your frustration here from both sides!

First of all I just want to assure you Dali that we are working hard to ensure that the next release v2.5 will be much more of an international resource - in that it will be fully Unicode based, from the localised user interface to the database. It is our TOP priority to make ZionWorx a multi-language tool that can be used around the world, without any 'discrimination' against non-English speaking users.

Regarding Bible integration, we want to get this feature in as soon as possible and we want to make sure we do it right. As you say, that means using open standards. We've had an OSIS-based 'engine' working for well over a year now, but we haven't worked anymore on it because the standard doesn't seem to have settled down yet or have been that widely adopted.

As Edd said, the other issue is of course copyright. Granted, that doesn't need to be a massive stumbling block as there are a number of translations (especially non-English) that are freely available in a variety of formats, but it still is a slow and frustrating problem. The decision for us as developers is to decide which 'format' to support and put our effort into, and also how to use a 'plug-in' design so that users can search for/create their own Bible modules as required, which takes the burden of distribution out of our hands...

Thanks very much for the link to the Sword Project - perhaps like Edd, I too assumed this was linked to eSword, which it apparently isn't! Having had a quick look at the website, I see that the core of this is a cross-platform API to aid development of Bible study software. So, from a brief look, this could well be a viable platform for ZionWorx to natively support. I'm going to take a deeper look at what's on offer and how it might fit into our current development environment. Once I've done this I'll reply here with some thoughts on how to move forward.

Thanks everybody for your input...

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Bible versions close to NIV

Postby cielo » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:57 pm

i use OnLine Bible software which I found at the AnswersInGenesis website. This software has a version listed as the NIB which is very close to the NIV and is free. Perhaps the ZW developers could look into this for use in ZW

Alan
cielo
Junior

The Sword Project

Postby AliBy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:53 pm

Because of the extensive history of development at The Sword Project it has to be the main source for us for public domain (and those who are prepared to spread the word at no cost) bible versions and translations. :)

IF we do in the end go to the OSIS format there is a way to convert to it from The Sword Project Modules. So we could have all those versions available in the end. :D

If we use the same engine as The Sword Project that will definitely be first prize as we will won't have to process all the bibles again. :P

You will be also be able to install The Sword Project on the same pc and simply point to the same Modules - no duplication and waste of space. That will provide all the more complex cross reference and search features of those programs and when you have what you are looking for ... :shock: ... BANG! ...
... it can be projected using ZionWorx 8)
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby Christian » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi Alistair,

I totally agree with your points...

Do you happen to know anyone who works on the Sword Project at all?
I've sent numerous emails to various different people and not received a reply from anybody. I really want to investigate this avenue but need more technical information and can't find anywhere to get it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby AliBy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:48 am

Sorry Christian, at this stage I am not sure of anyone. I have quite likely made posts and possible had contact with someone at some stage. I will go through my archives and see if I can target someone for us to get in touch with.
I am sure you will be using the API (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/swordapi/) just like all the other linked programs (Bibletime, Gnomesword etc.). As I am using Bibletime I will also see if we can make a contact there.

:)
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Previous

Return to Zionworx Wish List