Bible versions

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Bible versions

Postby Ian Greig » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:04 pm

I understand bible iontegration is set for version 3. For copyrighted bible translations (such as NIV) would it be possible to import it from a cd version which you have purchased. I know they do these, but I don't know how they work and if this is possible. If possible it would be a very useful workaround to the copyright issues.
Ian Greig
Junior

Bibles

Postby AliBy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:44 am

:D There is a good chance that the implimentation of the bible projection feature will be done using the "open" OSIS format. This will mean that there are methods and tools available to convert other bibles, in the public domain, for use with ZionWorx.

:arrow: One of the primary sources of these will be "The Sword Project" http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp.

8) Versions not in the public domain will have to still comply with copyright requirements! (Which may be as simple as, for example, if Eugene Peterson says "OK" as he did to "The Sword Project", "E-Sword" and "Palm Bible+" http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/)

:wink: Once Beta Testing continues I am sure we will be able to confirm this!
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Bibles

Postby DJCHead » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:09 pm

Does this mean that e-sword .bbl format could be made to work with Zionworx?
DJCHead
Junior

Using "The Sword Project" Modules ??

Postby AliBy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 am

My first response would be NO, but then I am not a seasoned programmer. Although E-Sword is Free it is not opensource and is owned and developed "primarily" by one guy. You can't easily access his data or create your own modules (Bibles, references etc). THus I don't expect us to be able to read his proprietary format .bbl :roll:

On the other hand "The Sword Project" is opensource :D and you can create your own modules. You can also use an available program "Diaspora" to extract and convert the modules text to a couple formats. With the text extracted you can convert it to the OSIS format as mentioned above.

However, this raises the question of whether we should consider using the modules from "The Sword Project" directly - both are opensource, and then we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or recreate a whole bunch of modules in OSIS format. It also enables new bibles or bible updates created for "The Sword Project" top be directly downloaded and used :?:
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List