Guitar chord

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Guitar chord

Postby Williamting » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:20 am

Christian,

It would be nice if guitar chord can be added. In this case, perhaps we could use a tagging character in front of the line for the chord, eg, %G. When such a character is encountered, you either display or not display the line depending on the user's setting for the particular song or session. Normally, we use guitar chord during fellowship but in church service, we don't use guitar chord.

Text formating is already taken care of by manually setting the song properties (font size, type, etc). So, I believe for chord alignment, the correct combination of fonts, etc could do the trick.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:31 pm

Mmmm....this is an unusual request....

All I can envisage at the moment is a whole congregation stood up strumming guitars and singing - quite a disturbing image! :shock:

Is there anybody else out there that would find something like this useful?

If so, please have your say... :wink:
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:29 am

Christian,

In addition to the main worship, we are also using the database in small group (cell group) whereby we have only one or two person playing guitar/chord. Instead of maintaining two db - one with chord and one without, it will be nice if Zionworx can automatically switch on/off the chord.

In the main service, there is no need for chord.

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby mango » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:26 am

Christian, treating chords as meta data fits really well with what you're already doing with ZionWorx. I think your approach of separating lyrics, meta data and display information opens ZionWorx up for many future unforseen opportunities, good job once again!!
mango
Intermediate

Awesome Idea for Praise Practice

Postby zer0burn316 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:42 pm

:shock: that feature sounds cool but it may be a good idea to only use it during practice or something like if only the praise team can see it. cause if it is out where the whole congregation sees it it may distract and loose focus for the people who have no idea what that is. Just a thought :idea:
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby ed » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm

[quote="Christian"]Mmmm....this is an unusual request....

All I can envisage at the moment is a whole congregation stood up strumming guitars and singing - quite a disturbing image! :shock:

Is there anybody else out there that would find something like this useful?

If so, please have your say... :wink:[/quote]

If you could please get a picture of a whole church playing the guitar, i would love to have it. could b a good background for quite a few songs!!!!
ed
Junior

3 head display

Postby onefff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:00 pm

Of course, the ultimate solution is to have 3 outputs. Firstly, the control screen, secondly, the projector and finally a musician's screen. The third output would contain the additional meta data to enable them to play their instruments.
To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer!
onefff
Junior

Postby MaFt » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:10 pm

it'd need to be in a 'fixed width font' such as courier else depending which font you used the chords would appear above different words!

not sure about 3 outputs though... would probably b easier to have 2 laptops (1 with projector for words, 1 with monitor for chords)

MaFt
http://maft.co.uk
MaFt
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:29 am

MaFt wrote:it'd need to be in a 'fixed width font' such as courier else depending which font you used the chords would appear above different words!

Good point - but the feature could be more clever and allow you to 'attach' a chord to a particular word, then it would be displayed right above the start of that word.

I don't think a 3 monitor solution is so unrealistic - maybe the bigger challenge is how the screen changes for the musicians are triggered (seeing as musicians like to be able to look ahead a bit) and also that the congregation's view might contain more lines than the musican's view (because of the chords) - so how would the screens actually change, and who would do that?

Maybe it's time for a custom ZionWorx USB footswitch!! :D
Any ideas??
Christian
Site Admin

Postby MaFt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:25 pm

Christian wrote:Good point - but the feature could be more clever and allow you to 'attach' a chord to a particular word, then it would be displayed right above the start of that word.

hadn't thought of that! however, some chord changes are partway through a word, especially some non-guitar-friendly songs that have 3 chord changes in 1 word!!

Christian wrote:Maybe it's time for a custom ZionWorx USB footswitch!! :D
Any ideas??

found this: http://www.minisolve.com/footpedal.htm whilst trying to see if there were any 'music and chord display programs' already available (i quite fancy the idea of having a laptop on the music stand...)

a simple, yet ingenious, idea i had was to get an old ps2 keyboard (or a new usb one - doesn't matter actually) and sticking a block onto the space bar. simply put keyboard on floor and set up program for 'space bar' to mean next song or sheet etc etc.

even better could be a mouse on the floor (buttons pointing towards you) set up so that left click (button on your right) moves forward a page, right click moves backward. can be controlled by foot - the scroll wheel would be hard to master though unless bare-foot!!

i think it'd be easiest to do this if you could run the '2nd screen' on the laptop. i.e. set up the order of service then instead of projecting there could be an option of 'run service on mprimary screen' seeing as other musicians such as pianist etc would need 'real' music not just the chords.

just my 2p worth :)

MaFt
MaFt
Junior

Postby MaFt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:32 pm

and another idea.... a computer joypad. most joypads have the option to assign buttons to certain key's or keystrokes. eg. you could attach joypad and set it up so that when zioworx is running and you press the A button it does function X, when you press B is does function Y etc.

my brain's aching now

MaFt
MaFt
Junior

Postby MaFt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:45 pm

me again: http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/fs-savant-elite.htm

not cheap though... maybe someone in the uk makes some?

i'll not post this thread until i've had another look around!!!

there's aslo this for $129 http://www.enablemart.com/productDetail ... 31&dept=23

well, that's about all i could find!
MaFt
Junior

Return to Zionworx Wish List