Powerpoint viewer or Open Office presentation support

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Powerpoint viewer or Open Office presentation support

Postby JonathanKnight » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:59 pm

Being a cheapskate I haven't bought a copy of Power Point for the church. It is a bit pricey for something that is only ever used to display presentations and not author them.

I have put powerpoint viewer on the PC and also open office as several people have that on their home PC's.

It would be good if ZW supported the PP viewer or the open office presentation system as it would avoid costly licensing on church PC's which don't always need a full power point license.
JonathanKnight
Junior

Postby chris_h62 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:40 pm

Hey there,

These issues have been raised before andthis was the reponse:

the problem with PPT Viewer 97 (the older one) is that you can't do very much with it when you 'remote control' it from another application (ZionWorx) which is why it's only worthwhile working with the full version of PPT which can do much more.

The bigger problem with PPT Viewer 2003 though is that Micro$oft have disabled 'remote controlling' altogether! Which means it's even a step backwards from the 97 version. We're planning on supporting OpenOffice Impress though eventually (as well as PPT) and that's free!

Hope that helps,
Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby paulstokes » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 pm

You don actually NEED to operate PPT or OO via Zionworx - you can simply set those programs running as well, and then use the windows taskbar to switch between them during worship. No problem (been working that way for more than a year).
paulstokes
Senior

Postby JonathanKnight » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:11 pm

Power point viewer does not support dual monitors so you need to buy another package to move the window onto the second screen.

Impress doesn't have dual monitor support either although it is one of the requested enhancements on the forums. It's not planned for 2.0 so it will be some time before that becomes available.

If you can't get the display onto the second monitor then the packages aren't that much use.
JonathanKnight
Junior

PowerPoint

Postby danparkes » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:35 am

Just been reading the comments about PowerPoint and it being a bit pricey. Yep, I agree. However, churches may be able to get it at a very much discounted price. Our treasurer has just ordered the full version of Microsoft Office 2003 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access etc) for just over £120. I can't say that this is the price everyone will be able to get it for but hopefully it will be a guide. I think the company we sourced it through is called Civica. For more information look at: http://www.civica.co.uk or their other site: http://www.licencetoclick.com

For more information about how this works have a look the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/h ... o-can-buy/
Section I at the bottom of the list is the important bit though there is loads more info at: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/

We also run everything from a Laptop, so the techie for the Sunday is able to prepare any PowerPoints in advance (i.e. notice slides for pre/post service and Bible readings which we download and put manually in our own template) directly on the church laptop rather having to have the software on their own computer.

We will also probably be utilising Access to manage databases for church administration stuff as well. May as well make the equipment pay for itself rather than just use it for AV projection.

I hope this info helps.
danparkes
Junior

Postby intuitas » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 am

Multi-monitor support in Impress (Open Office) is now being implemented so for those wanting to use this software outside Zionworx for the time being monitor the latest version of Oo!
intuitas
Senior

Re: DONE in version 2.ONE

Postby AliBy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List