A couple of quick requests

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

A couple of quick requests

Postby ianbutty » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:36 am

I'm a newbee to Zionworx, and posted the following support questions:

1. When a line of a song is to long to fit on one line, how do I make the 'bit' that wraps on to the next line indent slightly?

2. How do I associate a particular background/font/colour with a particular "song"? I've worked out how to do it in a play list, and how to set up a default. But I'd like all the songs to use one background/font/colour for songs and a different set for litturgy?

and received the following reply (thanks for the quick reply btw)

1) You are unable to do this if the song is left aligned. The only way to kind of get this effect is to have the song centre aligned - the second line will be shorter then the line above.

2) In version 2 - there is only a single default style that is actually stored when ZionWorx is closed. However the next update of ZionWorx, which will hopefully be released in the next couple of weeks, will allow any number of styles to be saved.
There is no way of knowing the difference between 'liturgy' and 'songs' so even the next version won't achieve what you are describing but the applying of styles will be made faster.

So a couple of explanations as to what I'd like to be able to do any why, and a couple of suggestions as to how it may be achieved fairly easily?

1) Indentations

Take the following example (last verse of abide with me)

Reveal Thyself before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies,
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

It formats as:
Code: Select all
Reveal Thyself before my
closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and
point me to the skies,
Heaven's morning breaks, and
earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide
with me.

It's kind of tricky to see where lines end. Centering won't help as the second half of the line in many cases is a similar lenght to the first.

I'd like this to format as:
Code: Select all
Reveal Thyself before my
    closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and
    point me to the skies,
Heaven's morning breaks, and
    earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide
   with me.

(Please ignore the fixfont effect, it's the only way I could get the forum to show the indents!)

There should be a couple of easy way to allow users to do this the first, is to have a setting where an indent for left justified text is specified. When ZionWorks then wordwraps Left justified text that indent is added to the second and subsequent lines. Those that don't want to use it or don't need it can leave the value at 0.

The sencond way to achieve it is to permit leading spaces on lines when songs are entered in to the database. This will permit users to do the formatting them selves. At present if I enter the verse above into the database layed out as shown. ie I put in line breaks and indents) Then the continuation lines have the leading spaces removed. (Possibly caused by an over zelous use of LTRIM() ?? ;-)

2. Multiple Layouts
It is great news that you will be supporting multiple layout in the next version. Presumably this means you will somewhere have a list (database?) of the layouts users have defined. Would it be possible to add an extra field in to the songs database so that we can say which of the stored layouts is used for a particular song 'by default' ? If my programing knowledge is up to scratch it shouldn't be too trick to add.

In my case when I enter any litturgy, I would 'tag' those entries with my litturgy format and when I enter a song I would 'tag' them with my song format.

I can see this sort of facility of being great use in churches where the worship is more sponteneous. If the worship group decide to sing say "when I survey" it would be nice to be able to quickly pull up the words for the hymn with the knowledge that the nice background of a cross would be with it.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to using Zionworx in the future.
Regards,
Ian M Butterfield
http://www.imb.biz
ianbutty
Junior

Postby geek_181 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:18 am

How do I associate a particular background/font/colour with a particular "song"? I've worked out how to do it in a play list, and how to set up a default. But I'd like all the songs to use one background/font/colour for songs and a different set for litturgy?

I Like That Idea :idea: :!:
geek_181
Junior

Postby chris_h62 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:52 am

The next public release is certainly heading towards this, although it will not be possible to tag litturgy and songs seperately from within the database. However, it will be possible to save styles under a title, so you would have one called "Litturgy" and one called "Songs". It will then be very simple to go down the service list, simply assigning the "Litturgy" style or the "Songs" style from the drop down list of saved styles.

Hope this helps :D ,
Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List