RS-232 Control

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

RS-232 Control

Postby sirhcllenrad » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:03 am

Another idea that would be wonderful for a future version of Zionworx would be some sort of RS232 control. This would enable remote control pf projectors that have RS232 connections (which most do).

For the sort of functions that I think would be useful, try
http://www.churchmultimedia.com/video_select.php

Of course, the user would need the right type of cables etc, but this would REALLY help fixed-projector systems.

Chris
sirhcllenrad
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:36 am

Thanks for that Chris.

Would anybody else out there use such a feature?

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

No one else out there?? Ok then..

Postby nathbeadle » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:29 am

Hey

Well I'll be the first to step up and agree that RS232 support would be phenominal...and if it can be implemented then ZionWorks would become extrememly powerful (as if it isn't already eh?)

For those of you out there that haven't tried RS232 control or don't know about it...LOOK INTO IT. Great stuff that makes life easier!!!

Keep up the great work...my prayers are with you with the amazing amount of work take on!!
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Everyday is a gift from God
But what we make of that day
Is our gift back to Him.
nathbeadle
Junior

No Idea but cool

Postby zer0burn316 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:18 pm

:shock: know idea exactly what that is but it maybe good to have incase of needing it. :shock:
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby intuitas » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:29 pm

Sounds like another good idea, but perhaps this could be a project for someone to develop as a small independent application rather like a calculator. Not that I don't think Christian couldn't incorporate just that if it was independent it would be useful for controlling the projector for other purposes, for example we run Alpha occasionally.

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Cool

Postby zer0burn316 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:29 pm

:shock: Hey still do not know what it is but i agree cause it maybe something i am not aquainted with but good to have incase i need it
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

RS-232 Control (Explained)

Postby AliBy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:56 am

RS-232 control enables th PC to control the projector. If it is implimented into ZionWorx this is what you'd do:

:? Firstly you would "program" the codes into the available setup table in ZionWorx (These codes are in the Projector manual).
eg. On = 23455E556
Off = 23455E557
Blank = 2345F54E6
AV 1 = ????
AV 2 = ????
Zoom = ???

:roll: Then from within ZionWorx there would be buttons for each of the various functions. By pressing these buttons, the PC would switch on the Projector, zoom, focus, change channels, blank or freeze the screen etc. Basicaly it would replace the what projectors remote can do.

:wink: (The program would simply relay the codes via the serial port, something similar to hyper terminal?)

We have to use a "remote repeater" so that the remote can work with the projector mounted on the roof. This control would simplify things substancially and reduce duplicity.

Alistair
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby Christian » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:56 am

Thanks for that AliBy - I never realised it was as straight forward as sending some numbers down the serial port...

This would really simplify things in our church too actually - at the moment it's a case of aiming the projector remote into the sky to bounce of a wall and reflect back to hit the projector, which is suspended from a balcony 15 feet up in the air!! :P
Christian
Site Admin

Thanx

Postby zer0burn316 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:12 pm

:shock: Thanx now i get a better Idea of what this is and how it will assist zionworx, good idea.
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby mango » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:11 am

I believe most projectors already come with software that does that, just means that you don't get the convenience of controlling everything from ZionWorx.
mango
Intermediate

Postby intuitas » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:16 pm

Mango

True, the remote control on most projectors will provide these functions. I think Christian has the same sort of problem we have - the remote control cannot easily be used "line of sight" to the projector. In our case we cannot control the projector at all from the audio/visual console with the supplied infrared remote. The range of our remote is about 12-15 metres "line of sight" but tails off rapidly for even a small angle of deviation. Wired control directly out of the computer driven by ZionWorx would certainly streamline the operation.

Having said that, it is now physically quite difficult for us to run another cable. With more forethought we would have run every possible cable connection to the projector in the video wiring loom.

Paul
intuitas
Senior

Postby mango » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:14 am

I didn't mean the physical remote control, I meant RS232 software that comes with your projector.
mango
Intermediate

oh ok

Postby zer0burn316 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:12 pm

oh ok i see what you mean now and i thng that would be awesome to have in Zionworx
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby Tekman » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:04 pm

Christian wrote:Thanks for that Chris.

Would anybody else out there use such a feature?

Christian.

Yes please!

We will eventually have our projector permanently installed and the laptop and everything else that we may use for presenting a multimedia service will then be controlled from the back of our church.

I took a look at the site http://www.churchmultimedia.com/video_select.php

It would seem that having RS232 control would enable you to switch various sources easily to the projector. I guess therefore that you could have a source connected and say 'cued-up' and then switch the signal instaneously to the projector for display.

Is my thinking correct on the above?

Having read this 'post' on the ZionWorx Forum it has made me think about whether we should get an RS232 cable installed when we proceed to get everything permanently set-up. I say that because putting it in later might prove to be too expensive.

Does anyone have a specification regarding whether we would need to have an RS232 cable with all the pins connected? Sorry to be so demanding about this :oops:

Thank you

Regards
Tekman
Technical Consultant
Tiverton Christian Fellowship
Selly Oak - Birmingham - UK
Tekman
Junior

I think so

Postby zer0burn316 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:38 pm

:shock: Hey there after loking at the site you gave and careful reading i feel you were right on target and agree totally with waht you are saying
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Next

Return to Zionworx Wish List