Orphan and Widow control

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Orphan and Widow control

Postby chris_h62 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:20 am

Hi,

My church was wondering if it would be possible to have some kind of orphan and widow control in built into zionworx that means that no line will ever have just one word on it. Is this already in place (and i don't know how to use it) or is it planned for the future versions?

I don't know how useful other people would find this?

Chris
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby intuitas » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:27 am

There are a few issues which impact this: in particular the size of font chosen and the setting for margins. Both of these can be controlled by the end user, so you can resize the 'image' to fit your particular screen orientation and size.
Saving a song in a service list preserves these attributes as set, allowing you to plan way in which will be displayed. It is possible changes to the database for v3 may allow these attributes to be stored in the database but this will depend on what database changes are deemed most beneficial and practical.

Besides altering these attributes the most common method of avoiding widows and orphans (for single words) is to provide additional white space between words and letters (as is done with full justification). The effect of doing this is often to give the text an unnatural appearance which might be equally unacceptable to those viewing the projected image, especially as any such appearance tends to be magnified by the effect of projection.

There may be someone (?Christian) with a better answer to this.

Regards,
Paul
intuitas
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List