A few little things

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

A few little things

Postby kck » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:55 pm

I don't think any of these are major changes but they would certainly help me and probably others as well.

1. One of the things I like about Zionworx is the way the window that you are in goes yellow. However, this doesn't seem to apply to the song list window. Is there any reason why this is the case? Could it be changed?

2. When a song is selected from the database list, it takes several keystrokes to get it up on the screen. This is not a huge problem but for those of us who have quite a lot of spontaneous song selection it would be nice if there was a single keystroke that would bring it up on the screen in one go. I don't mind whether that means it has to be added to the songlist at the same time or not.

3. Although it is obviously quite a powerful program, I like the way that it is easy to get going in basic 'put the songs on the screen' mode without having to get into setting up complicated parameters. Judging by the requests and responses regarding V3, it is going to get more powerful still. Can I put in a plea for those of us that are probably not going to use most of these features and still have to train some very computer-phobic people that we can still use it easily in its 'out-of-the-virtual-box' configuration?

4. As an extension of the latter point, the main 'gotcha' for very basic operation seems to be the fact that it starts up with the screen disabled. Would it be possible to at least have an option of starting up with the screen enabled so that we can reduce the initial learning curve still further?

Keep up the good work,
Steve
kck
Senior

Postby Williamting » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:05 pm

Hi Steve,
Very good points indeed.

Regarding the number of keystroke to put the song up, I normally do the following using mouse:
1. Drag the song from the database to Service List.
2. Double click on the newly selected song.

If my mouse is dead for any reason (happen once), I will select the song (key in enough letters for the song title) from the db; using the up/down arrow keys to position to the song I want, hit enter, tab, tab, position to the newly selected song on the service list, hit enter. The song is now on the screen (may need to hit F12). To move back to the song selection, hit shift-tab twice.

I find this quite convenience but I am now also used to it.

On your third point, try to set your own default parameters that you would always use. Try this: on your current song, set to your favourite font, font size, background, etc. After you have done this, go to Format->Assign as default style.

On your forth point, I agree with what you said. Once, my operator kept rebooting the PC thinking that there was something wrong. Finally, gave up and OHP was used! This is a matter of training. I am thinking of putting a simple one page guide on the wallpaper. Hope that with this, new operator don't panic when Zionworx seems not to work.

Overall, this is a wonderful program.

William
William
Williamting
Most Senior

A few little things

Postby kck » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:29 pm

Hi William,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regarding getting the song on the screen quickly - yes you can use the mouse but we have an IBM laptop with one of those silly ThinkPad button things and it's horrible. I plan to have an external mouse available as much as possible but we might not always have room and I like the way that Zionworx can be operated without one anyway.

I am familiar with the series of keystrokes required but I just thought that the addition of a single keystroke option would make life much easier in what is one of the more pressured situations, i.e. when a song is started that wasn't on the original list. And it would be helpful for those who are less familiar with that sequence, especially my computer-phobic trainees!

Regarding styles, I am very happy with the out-of-the-box default. I don't feel any need to change it. (At least, not at the moment). I am hoping that the new version is as easy to use (or easier) than the current one.

I think it's a great program too. With the additional benefit of very helpful users.

Cheers,
Steve
kck
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List