Songselect

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Songselect

Postby rtoupin » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:15 pm

Is it possible for Zionworks to access/import from songselect? If not...that would be a GREAT tool!

:?: :lol:
rtoupin
Junior

Postby Christian » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:32 am

Hi there, could you please explain for the rest of us (and me!) exactly how SongSelect works? How are the songs accessed/stored/downloaded etc., and what type of 'format' is used?

I've never talked to anyone using the SongSelect service before so please share your experiences...

Many thanks for your suggestion!
Christian
Site Admin

Postby mango » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:40 pm

My guess is you might have to approach CCLI for the SDK. The programs I know of that support this feature are all commercial, hopefully it won't cost you anything to get the SDK.
mango
Intermediate

songselect

Postby rtoupin » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:32 pm

Song Select is the song database service from CCLI. It contains over 4000 songs, and is updated annually. The one writer is probably correct. It would like cost to use it since CCLI charges for it, but the licensing is sperately charged.

Should I write to CCLI and ask them what the cost would be ?

Robin :roll: :?:
rtoupin
Junior

Postby Christian » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:31 pm

I've actually just sent CCLI an email so hopefully I'll hear something soon
and then I'll report back on my findings....

Cheers.
Christian
Site Admin

this ould be awesome

Postby zer0burn316 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:27 pm

:shock: this feature would be a great awesome feature i have worked with SongShow Plus and that uses SongSelect and it is a good side database to access that does not take your space accept the songs you add to your zionworx database. t would be a Plus fr me if you added it :shock:
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby hadlevad » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:39 pm

a feature to import from song select directly would be great.

One thing to watch out for is that there are two versions of song select
US and UK which are very different.

cheers

ad
hadlevad
Junior

Postby Christian » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Please could those of you that use or have used SongSelect - either US or UK version please tell me about your experiences, good or bad. I'd like to understand a bit more about what users think of the service and how it could be supported by ZionWorx...

Christian
Site Admin

Postby hadlevad » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:21 pm

have used uk version.

Basically use it as a source for songs so we can cut and paste them elsewhere.

It useful in that it has loads of songs preloaded and for us thats about as far as it goes.

thanks

adam
hadlevad
Junior

Postby Christian » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Thanks Adam,

So, is each song saved into a single text file or into some local database on your PC?
Is there some CCLI program that you install which shows you which songs you've downloaded and which are available?
Or is it purely web-based i.e. just search for a song and copy the text from the resulting web-page?
I suppose you have to 'login' somehow to gain access to this stuff and prove you have a valid CCLI licence?

Any more info would be much appreciated...
Christian
Site Admin

Song Select

Postby CraigW » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:25 am

My church is a U.S. user of the CCLI database. We have been using it for a few years. When we first subscribed, we received a CD ROM with the database and software to access it. Songs can be searched by keyword, title, author, etc. To get new music not on the original CD, we must log in to their website and download the song into a directory, then import it into our local database. We also use Song Show from Fowler, which accesses the same Song Select DB on our hard drive.

Along with the lyrics, we get all the copyright info for the song, too.

Our church does pay an annual fee for the service and royalties according to congregation size. They also have us submit a log periodically to determine how the royalties get split up. I think either Song Select or Song Show will keep track of which songs were projected or printed for this purpose.

Hope this helps a bit.

CW
CraigW
Junior

Postby hadlevad » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:04 pm

Song select uk you have to have a uk ccli licence
"SongSelect is a powerful software package that gives full access to over 3000 worship songs. You can search the texts in a variety of different ways, view the full text, and copy the text to other software packages such as word processors or desk top publishing applications.
Note that to obtain access to the full range of songs you must register and enter an activation key. If you do not want to register immediately, you can use SongSelect in demonstration mode, with access to a number of public domain songs and hymns.

SongSelect goes beyond the basics by providing a worship planning tool. You can select the songs you want to use on a particular occasion, reorder them as you want, and add headings for other worship elements such as readings or prayers.
It is also a simple matter to make an OHP (overhead projector) transparency. Simply right-click the text of any item and choose Make OHP to have the text appear in a large type suitable for printing as an OHP.
If you are equipped with a data projector, that projects a computer screen for public viewing, then you can project a SongSelect service directly. You can also select a song that was not previously planned, and in a few seconds have it displayed.

SongSelect is linked to the Christian Copyright Licence. You can only use the software when the licence is current. It will also assist you in making accurate copyright returns, ensuring the fairest possible distribution of copyright fees."

I think it works on some kind of access database, which every now and then you can download updates to.

"SongSelect directory (by default, c:\program files\SongSelectUK), or for a smaller backup copy the following files:

ssongsu.isd
ssongsu.isf
ssongsu.ism"

hope thats some help

cheers

adam
hadlevad
Junior

Postby vetto » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:32 am

Just to keep this wish alive...

You dont need to pay Songselect (CCLI) for adding a "hook" to you program that accesses their song database.

The licensing is taken care of my making the user enter his or her license number and user name into the application so it uses that to access CCLI.

Look at OpenSong, OpenLP and others that have this feature and are opensource.
vetto
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi Vetto,

Thanks for this. As a seasoned user of CCLI, would you be willing to put together some more detail about how you would envisage this feature working? Perhaps a couple of diagrams and an explanation of the steps taken to import a song from CCLI, and how you would like to see it implemented in ZionWorx?

This would really help us to understand, as it's is difficult to implement something useful without full knowledge of how it is 'normally' used...

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Re: Songselect

Postby vetto » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Is anything happening with this? If you still need a mockup I can give you a graphic or writeup on how I see it...but it might be simpler for the developers to just install opensong or openlp and look at the interface there.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Next

Return to Zionworx Wish List