Automatic numbering of all the songs

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Automatic numbering of all the songs

Postby gvjesse » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:24 pm

Hello there
Can you add this feature on of automatic numbering of each song, that way you can just pull up the song by the numbers, sort of like what Microsoft Access database does?
Also, it would be nice to be able to categorize the songs into different rhythms, tones, and moods, like you do in an mp3 software like musicmatch or windows media player.
Other than that, it's a pretty good programto to use.

God bless
Jesse M Vernon
Mt Olive Ministry Center Church Of God
(Iglesia de Dios Monte Olivo)
Arlington, TX
gvjesse
Junior

Postby Christian » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:55 pm

Hi - thanks for your suggestions...

There will be some facility in the next version to support categorizing songs, but I just wondered if you could explain a bit more about the auto numbering idea? Would you really find this more useful than searching for a title or keyword to locate a song? Or is it that you would like to see the songs in the service list numbered and accessible for loading by number?

Thanks,

Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby jefff » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:13 pm

i think it would be nice if the songs were numbered. it could be very simple, and accompany an option to disbable it. but it could just have a number on the left hand side of each song in the database, specifying it's number in the database.

1] Song Title
2] Song Title
158] Song Title

this would be especially nice for a song database of several hundred songs. it wouldn't replace a search feature by any means, but it could be useful.

it would also be nice if it could add 0s to numbers with less digits. it could automatically decide how many based on the largest number.

so if your database had under 10 songs, it would look like this.

1] Song Title
2] Song Title
3] Song Title

but if you had over 100 songs, it would look like this.

001] Song Title
002] Song Title
034] Song Title
035] Song Title
124] Song Title
125] Song Title
jefff
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:08 am

My perspective... I can't see numbering being helpful at all - except perhaps in the context that Christian suggests, to number the song in the service list and to load that particular song from that list somehow when the button is pressed. Numbering the songs in the list on the database song list would confuse things - Songs are listed twice (if an alternative title exists) and therefore what would the numbering be? Also when I look for a song I don't look for numbers but rather use the name/first line/alternative title which works well.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Numbering

Postby chris_h62 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:33 pm

I agree. The numbering of songs would further confuse the issue. I think that the current search function is sufficient and enables the songs to be found with ease and speed. Numbering would not really be of benefit because in large databases you would not be able to remember the number of the songs you wanted anyway. It would also make it more complicated for our users. :?
Christ Church, Lowestoft
chris_h62
Most Senior

Postby wnp » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:04 pm

Numbers would be useful when you are given a list of numbers with the instructions,
"here are the songs from SoF (or from Faith Hymnal, or whatever your church uses)",
and now you have to find a hardcopy of that songbook or hymnal to figure out which songs these actually are.

Automatic numbering here makes sense only if we can have separate databases for
different hymnals, and the songs get entered in numeric sequence; otherwise, a free-form manual-entry field would be best, like an additional "Alternate Title" field.
wnp
Junior

Postby Diceman » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:01 pm

THe new database should cover most of the functionality your require - please see previous posts.

kind regards

Diceman
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List