Database wishlist

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Database wishlist

Postby dgillham » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:55 pm

Having just added some 300 songs over the last 3 days some things that would make life easier are:

1. A proper CSV (preferably comma delimited) import facility IN ADDITION to the standard text import

2. A way to categorise songs (by type - eg traditional, modern) or by denomination (eg Methodist, Baptist, Anglican)

3. A way to enter a song's chorus in italic type

It would also be helpful if the copyright display feature allowed for the song and the tune to be written by and copyright of different people (rather than the words "words and tune (c) xyz" as now, which I need to have permanently turned off)
dgillham
Junior

Database handler

Postby Diceman » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 pm

What format is the database in? - perhaps we could write a third party app for handling it, or if it's a standard format we could use an existing third party application.

Italics and formating would require a database structure re-write if it's not extensibly supported.

Diceman
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

Postby webmaster » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:11 pm

zionworx 3 is going to have a new database which should cover most of this.

no need to write a added app.

I have integrated it with MS access aand then export it out when I do updates.

Pretty easy really.
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby dgillham » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:45 pm

It's even easier than that. dBASE (which is what the database is unless it is FoxPro - which is essentially the same) is one of the original database languages. Even in the old days it was a simple one line command to import and export but nowadays a few clicks with a mouse and the programmer should be done
dgillham
Junior

Database wishlist

Postby kck » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Having spent a considerable amount of time trying to import the Songs of Fellowship 1, 2 & 3 data from the files supplied with the music books, can I make the following suggestions:

1. Can we have an FAQ devoted to database matters such as importing, formats, etc. There is quite a lot of information dotted about these forums (fora?) but it would be nice if it were all in the same place. I have run into all sorts of problems, some of which I may detail in another post if I'm not too embarrassed by them.

2. Now that I have managed it, and so, it would appear, have several other people (!), it seems silly that others should have to go through a similar amount of pain. I know there are issues about copyright and the like so I make this proposal.
Have a form on this website where people can choose which files they would like (e.g. SoF1, SoF2, SoF3). However, in order to get them they need to enter their copyright license number, the name of their church or organisation and their email address, and check a box confirming that they possess the relevant discs. The files they have chosen could then be emailed to them.

It may be worth a link to Kingsway (or whoever else might have provided the original data in other instances) and/or links to places where the music books can be purchased.

If Kingsway could be persuaded to include the processed files on their discs it would be even better but there are doubtless other issues raised by that.

I would love to see Zionworx being more widely used and I think the easy availability of these files would go a long way towards promoting that.

Cheers,
Steve P.
kck
Senior

Postby webmaster » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:52 pm

Thanks Steve,

Your suggestion is a good one but we cannot supply these files anymore due to copyright.

We have had discussions with Kingsway to determine what would be acceptable and have not as yet come up with any common ground to supply or even let them supply a database copy on the disc's they supply.

This would mean all copyrights are adhered to :D .

I have on several occasions been sent the receipt and discs to transfer the files to a zionworx database to help out. but I am un willing to do this as I have a new family and it takes up time...... :)

I am in the process of placing the macros and program to do the conversion on the site with hopefully some easy instructions to allow even the most novice user to do the conversion.

I :D n the end we (zionworx and myself) must adhere to copyright protection and the protection of the artist/writers who produce this material. :D

:arrow: I will work on creating a Database FAQ and discuss with the team maybe doing a standalone program.

thank you once again for your comments without these Zionworx would not be able to improve our support.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Zionworx webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Database wishlist

Postby kck » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:20 pm

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for pursuing it with Kingsway anyway.

I don't want to encourage copyright infringement, just to try and make peoples' lives easier - your's included! (I have a new family too :) )

All the best,
Steve P.
kck
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List