Port to Linux - advanced remote possibilities

Post your wish lists for new versions of the software.

We cannot do everything but if we know what people want it make life easier.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Port to Linux - advanced remote possibilities

Postby Mealz » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:07 pm

Would it be possible to port Zionworx to Linux? Being free... It would compliment linux nicely. As far as I am aware Kylix is the free linux alternatice to delphi. Would it be possible to use this to port to linux?

Linux has lots going for it:

Fully configurable multi displays, remote displays!!
All networking protocols with free utilities. for remote deployment

With the project from http://www.ltsp.org a very cool client server setup could be implemented were the pc with zionworx is the server and thin clients (such as the one at http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi ... 00014.html) connect to it to be the remote dipslays. VNC could also be used to control the presentation remotely. http://www.tightvnc.com.

There is endless cool stuff that can be done with linux!

If the program was ported to linux. LTSP could be used without writing extra code.

Did I mention with a simple homemade device there is free linux software for controlling DMX? how cool!

Ok you get my point :D

What do you all think?
Mealz
Junior

Postby Mealz » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:13 pm

Why not have a single video card on the main pc, put on of these thin clients on the roof wih the porjector and run cat 5 instead of RGB and Serial for control? The thin client automatically boots and connects to the zionworx server and shows the presentation :)

And put another up the front for the band/worship leaders?

No expensive rgb cable and loss of quality, more flexibility

Of course any old pc can be used a client. They do not have to be small fanless models.
Mealz
Junior

sounds cool i guess

Postby zer0burn316 » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:42 pm

:shock: hey there Mealz

i guess it be cool but i am not a big fan of Linux but if it is still a windows avalible, then it be cool. i ave just always had bad vibes with linux :cry: , but it is cool for those who know the system

but just another thought if we go with linux and PC why not add mac OS, that way all theoperating systems ate accessible to zionworx just a thought :wink:
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Port to Linux

Postby Diceman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:37 pm

Here here,

(but not on Christmas Day) :-)
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

Hey again

Postby zer0burn316 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:15 am

:shock: you know while we discussing this we must remeber that not all users use the same operating systems and the same type computer brand. keeping zionworx open to all at a free cost should also involve the freedom of the users computer system as well. for the linux user there should be a linux version, for the windows user, a windows version, and for the mac user (which i may become soon cause MAC RULZ) there should be a MAC version.

another thought, i saw a man using PowerPoint from a handheld Palm computer, just a future thought you may want to design a PDA version as well they becoming very useful and very dependent to pastors and ministers as i see in my ministry (Just thinking ahead) :wink:

peace out and blessings in
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Vive la revolution (provided nobody gets hurt) :-)

Postby Diceman » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:51 pm

MAC OSX is 'NIX just like LINUX. The problem for developing for quartz (in the carbon and cocoa OSX API's) nativly comes in the cost of Apples Dev membership. Does anyone know if Apple's xwindows manager handles multiscreen support - if it does then a port to Linux would mean a port to Mac - definitly worth a consideration.

But this is all pretty academic if no development work is done. The developer community will not be attracted by zionworx reluctance of moving zionworx to an open source licencing system.

As a point of interest - has anyone seen project Looking Glass by Sun microsystems. As a foretaste of what is to come in the UNIX world - it's pretty funky looking. Some analysts predict that a good proportion of the world will be running linux boxes in the next 3 years. Microsoft is already looking uncomfortable.

Vive la revolution (provided nobody gets hurt) :-)
Diceman
Senior

Return to Zionworx Wish List