Tablet PC Problem

If you are using Zionworx and would like to comment feel free to post your comments here.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Tablet PC Problem

Postby Williamting » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:05 am

I was using a Fujitsu Stylistic Tablet PC during our fellowship meeting over the weekend. I encountered a couple of problems which forces me to reboot the Tablet:
1. Switching the display from landscape to portrait mode causes the preview window not to centralised the text correctly. It thought the screen width is still having the Â?landscapeÂ? size and therefore the text is aligned too much to the right.
2. For some reasons, which I have yet to figure out, the projected screen went to the tablet screen (worse is that the screen is black!). F10, F12 or F1 on the infra keyboard have no effect but instead generated an error (canÂ?t remember now). So, I am faced with a black screen and also impossible to call up the soft keyboard. Zionworx wonÂ?t terminate even when I use CTRL-ALT-DEL-terminate program on the infra keyboard.
3. When the Tablet restarts from standby, I noticed that Windows automatically Â?disabledÂ? the secondary display port. Enabling the display from the Â?Display PropertiesÂ? window will not cause Zionworx to use the port. Restarting Zionworx will not help either. Only solution is to reboot the tablet.

I am using Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Despite the above challenges, we have a wonderful evening with many of us filled by the Holy Spirit. I am very grateful that Zionworx has helped me to pull out many Â?unplannedÂ? songs due to an extended worship and prayer!

Now that I know the "problems", I am now more prepared to work around them.

William
Williamting
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:30 pm

Hi William, this is all interesting stuff...

For the uninitiated amongst us (myself included) what is a tablet PC?
I have to admit that I don't have much of a clue :oops:
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Williamting » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:17 am

Hi Christian,

A tablet PC is like a notebook computer but no directly attached keyboard. It is similiar to a palm top but this one has a full blown LCD panel. It works in much the same way as a palm top - using a "pen" as a mouse. Data entry is using a "soft" keyboard or writing recognition.

The major difference is that it is using Window XP instead of Window CE as in a palm/IPaq, etc.

In many respect, tablet PC is really a notebook without a keyboard. Everything else is more or less the same.

Go to the link below to see more of the unit I am currently testing:
http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/products/st_4110.html

God bless,
William
Williamting
Most Senior

I do not know, but a thought

Postby zer0burn316 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:18 pm

:shock: hey there maybe you are having the same deals i had with my laptop, first i had to set me monitors up, and the company specs were set backwards to my desired settings, and had to do it in bios, maybe there is something in your bios that needs help
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Solution Areas

Postby Diceman » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:27 am

The problem arises when the system has to re-shuffle it's windows onto different monitors and different orientations/aspect-ratios(portrait and lanscape etc). Your windows are being stuck in the wrong place - obscuring the output window and placing the control window on the output monitor making it impossible to control the situation. It is also being esacipated by zionworx inability (through no fault of it's designers, since tablet PC's are relativly new) to figure out what the heck is going on. There are two avenues of approach in solving this:

The Graphics Driver (Proprietary):
Nvidia use a Proprietary method for window repositioning. This can be customised from the display settings advanced dialogue (the easy option is through a helpful nview setup wizard which is run after the first reboot after installing the nvidia detonator drivers). Other graphics adapter manufacturers such as Matrox and ATi use similar methods but you'll have to find out how to configure them yourself. Please post the results here so other sufferer's can find help until a nice integrated software solution can be found:-

Windows API ('universal'):
A root around in M$ developer network may unearth standardised API calls used for tablet PCs and their hardware when handling window management in these situations. A future version of Zionworx would do well to include support for this if the rapidly growing market of tablet PC's were to be supported. (For a short term solution - perhaps an active update timer routine to constantly check that windows are as they should be and if not fix it, or throw up a testcard slide until the user can turn the projector off, thus saving operator embarresment) Incidentally M$ have a nice flash demo of the tablet PC on their website for all those who have yet to come accross these lovely little devices.
"Let there be light, cameras and action"
Diceman
Senior

Sounds to me like tablets are crazy

Postby zer0burn316 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:23 am

:shock: i looked at the tablets and found them to be crazy, i personally do not like them since i am a full PC or Laptop person, but for those who are that is cool.
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Tablet PC's - Nasty or Nice

Postby Diceman » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:11 pm

horses for courses (I've personally wanted one ever since they had them on star trek :) lol)
Diceman
Senior

cool for the trekies

Postby zer0burn316 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:39 am

:shock: that is cool for the trekies, but for me i will take a purple colored saber and use the force LOL

peace out and blessings in brother

(just messing with you your opinion means just as much as mine)
NONAME
zer0burn316
Most Senior

Postby Diceman » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:00 am

:lol: modded JK2 to LOTR last summer - so I'm with you on that (Trekkin died for me with spock and all those dudes). My Christian name is Luke - so I can't really get away from "I am your father" cliches :-)

Happy New Year y'all
Diceman
Senior

Return to Zionworx Feedback V2.0