Credit where credit's due

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Credit where credit's due

Postby keith » Sat May 02, 2009 2:26 pm

FIrst of all, thanks for a great resource, which my church has now been using for over 4 years. However, there is a recurring niggle, which a few folk have spotted (and blamed me for!) several times over the years, but on Easter Sunday it seems that everybody was more awake than usual...

We were singing 'Thine be the glory' - great old hymn, with a great tune that only Handel could have written, so it seems very wrong to be blatantly showing a message at the foot of the screen that credits the tune to the guy who happened to write the words.

Does that message have to say 'Words and music by...'? The complicated fix would be to separate 'Words by...' from 'Music by...', but that would then introduce the problem of having to change the credits if we decided to sing, for example, a traditional hymn to a modern tune. I really can't see why anything at all needs to be said about the source of the tune when it's only the words that are being shown. So all we really need is to remove the '...and music...', and the problem goes away. Is there a way I can do this, or does it need a tweak to the software?

Interestingly enough, I was speaking with a well-known modern hymnwriter recently - he writes words, but not tunes, and it grates on him to see himself being credited with all kinds of tunes that are nothing to do with him.

Thanks for all you've done for so many.

Keith
keith
Junior

Re: Credit where credit's due

Postby ChrisClark » Sun May 03, 2009 8:35 pm

As commented elsewhere in the forum this is the text stated by CCLI that should be used in the licensing message. A future release will allow the option to select these items separately.

In the meantime attached is a bit of a cheat way of acheiving what you want for now. It makes use of the 'English' translation file to translate the copyright text 'words and music by' to 'words by'.

Copy it to the ZionWorx installation directory ..\ZionWorx\locale\en\LOCAL_MESSAGES\ and replace the existing file (You will need to remove the .zip extension - note it is not a zip file just a file with a zip extension). You may also want to rename the existing file for the time when someone complains that the musician is not being correctly credited which you can almost guarantee will happen :roll:

default.mo.zip
English translation file with 'words by' instead of full CCLI text
(469 Bytes) Downloaded 552 times
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby brainier » Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks. The referenced post is http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=826&p=3690&hilit=words+music#p3670 where the latest CCLI text is noted to read "[author], © [year,owner] [your licence number]"

Note that the folder name is "locale\en\LC_MESSAGES" and not "locale\en\LOCAL_MESSAGES"
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby keith » Mon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks Chris and Brian for your helpful responses. Looks like I should have searched the forums before posting my message! MIght even have spotted then that I myself had written previously on this topic! Mind you, that time I never had a reply, and this time I've had two, and a cheat to download - brilliant - thanks...

Anyway, I'll dig out the church laptop later and have a go at this.

Thanks again for your help.
Keith
keith
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support