Projector Recommendations?

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Projector Recommendations?

Postby oo00_Mr_K_00oo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post something like this, but I can't see any sort of "general" forum - admin feel free to move

We are contemplating replacing our projector at church, which is currently a BoxLight model (I forget which) that has 1800 Lumens. It's about 5 or 6 years old now and the brightness is suffering, as is the contrast. Now we could just replace the bulb, but we've also had the projector mounted and now it's a bit close to the wall meaning we'd need a short throw lens (at around NZ$3000+ this is about the same as a new projector).

Do you have any recommendations as to what you use?

* 3000, 3500, 4000 - ansi lumens?
* 1000:1, 2000:1 - contrast?
* 1024x768 .... HiDef?

We do your usual projection type stuff, songs on a black background, video clips as part of sermons and visual based notices ...
We do this in a 300-400 seat auditorium

Thanks in advance
Mr K
The fella what looks after the komputer & picture making thingy hanging from the roof @ Pakuranga Baptist Church

Download FREE ZionWorx Backgrounds - I started a FREE site to share ZionWorx & PowerPoint ready backgrounds
oo00_Mr_K_00oo
Intermediate

Re: Projector Recommendations?

Postby davepartridge » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Well the general rule with these things is that higher numbers are better!

I have this morning ordered a new projector for our Church - we're going to relegate our current one for use in the back hall, so I've ordered an Optoma EX774N for a bargain price of just under £800.

Our building is relatively small, with seating for around 100, but we get a lot of light coming in which means we need quite a strong projector. Our old one was 2400 Lumens whereas this new one is 4300 - I'm hopeful that this will make a reasonable difference. We do have blinds on the windows that we close when necessary but it would be nice not to have to have them closed throughout services!

Our new projector also has a contrast ratio of 3000:1 compared to the 2000:1 and that should make videos have a little more clarity.

As for resolution, I would personally always recommend XGA (1024 x 768) because it is 'standard' for projectors. HiDef is not really necessary and isn't likely to be an appropriate 'business-style' projector.

I can't specifically recommend our new projector as it hasn't arrived yet, but the specs definitely look good!
davepartridge
Senior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 pm

I found this website useful: http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/index.htm
We have an optoma ep781 which also has the 3000:1 contrast ratio.
With an auditorium of 300-400, I think I would get a firm to come in and have a look round tbh.
A light meter is handy too: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=46557.

You need to think about the screen too, size & surface type and try to eliminate any stray light. We have 2 blinds near the drums, to avoid light hitting the cymbals and reflecting up onto the screen!
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby oo00_Mr_K_00oo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Awesome thanks ... We are looking at getting some professional audio-visual folks to come in .. and I want to set up some test screenings to really trial a projector before we go ahead.

Interesting you both mention the Optoma brand, might have to look into those.
I think we'll stick with XGA, hiDef is prob more home theatre suitable rather than auditorium styles ey

We have a specially created screen (that fancy stuff with micro holes to minimise movement etc) .. it's currently hanging infront of our rear wall (which is curved). We do have windows on either side of the stage, but these do have blinds on them to reduce light pollution (I should take some snaps ey)
Mr K
The fella what looks after the komputer & picture making thingy hanging from the roof @ Pakuranga Baptist Church

Download FREE ZionWorx Backgrounds - I started a FREE site to share ZionWorx & PowerPoint ready backgrounds
oo00_Mr_K_00oo
Intermediate

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support