Powerpoint External Video / Audio Slideshow Exit Error

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Powerpoint External Video / Audio Slideshow Exit Error

Postby apwood » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 am

I have a powerpoint Auto_NextSlide macro that is used to automatically launch an external player in the background (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) to either play music or video and then automatically end the slideshow.

Using powerpoint on its own, this works perfectly, the slideshow ends immediately the music or video is started.

This should have two advantages:

1) Allows the operator to play a video from the zionworx playlist using powerpoint, but then immediately get the next song ready which will then appear once the video has ended, (MPC Home Cinema opens the video on the secondary display and automatically closes when the video has finished). Alternatively when the video has ended it will allow the operator to press F4 to move onto the next song in the playlist at that point. I don't want the operator to have to press the Stop button because this is confusing (as discussed in another thread).

2) Allows the operator to play music (no video) from the zionworx playlist using powerpoint, and immediately display the next song (that may have the words that go with the music). MPC Home Cinema in this case is used to open the music player on the laptop screen instead of the secondary display so that Zionworx should be able to display the song words.

In both cases the powerpoint is set to not display a black slide when it ends (the one that says "click to exit") so sometimes it ends automaticaly and everything works. However, sometimes I still end up with a black screen (again as discussed in another thread).

The reason for this new thread is because I have now added the following command in the macro that runs immediately after the video or audio has started:

Either

ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Exit
or
SlideShowWindows(1).View.Exit

When running powerpoint on its own, this does exactly what is should - it ends the powerpoint show immediately, leaving the music or video (that was launched in the background) still running.

However when launched through Zionworx (either as part of the playlist or from the powerpoint tab), a black screen is displayed on the secondary display that is impossible to remove, even if both the powerpoint application and the MPC Home Cinema applications are both closed down.

The screen appears to be opened by Zionworx because (1) the powerpoint slide is white, but the screen is black (2) it stil happens when I set MPC Home Cinema to open on the laptop display, (3) zionworx is showing that the powerpoint has ended because the Stop button is greyed out and the zionworx display status shows that powerpoint is no longer active (4) the only way to remove the screen is to close Ziooworx altogether, and start again.

During this testing, Zionworx was set to display background and text (F12).

This seem to me to be a bug in Zionworx. If the bug didn't exist, the problems with powerpoints not always ending correctly and having to press the Stop button un-necessarily that i have mentioned in another thread could be solved, and I could get powerpoints to work seamlessly and consistently with Zionworx in the same way as any other playlist item. (ie Press space to advance the powerpoint / song, press F4 to end the powerpoint / song and move onto the next item in the play list.)

Is there a way to solve this, or can the bug be fixed in Zionworx?

Note I am using Powerpoint 2003, zionworx 2.6 and Windows XP SP3. Dell Latitude D600 with all the latest drivers installed.
apwood
Intermediate

Re: Powerpoint External Video / Audio Slideshow Exit Error

Postby apwood » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 am

Thinking about this, I'm guessing that ZIonworx opens a screen when a powerpoint is launched, to allow the powerpoint to be displayed. Pressing the Stop button then stops the powerpoint and closes this screen.

I wonder if it would be possible for Zionworx to automatically check if the powerpoint slideshow view has exited and then programmatically press the Stop button, either as a loop or when the black "click to exit" screen is displayed?

This could be an option, so that those who prefer to use the Stop button could still do so.

It would solve this problem and the one in the other thread which is here:

http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=795&start=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p3734
apwood
Intermediate

Postby apwood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:14 pm

I have managed to workaround this problem, as described in my post in another thread:
http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=795&start=15#p3739

Similarly this workaround allows a slideshow containing music only to be launched, then the operator can press F4 to move onto the next playlist item that contains the lyrics that go with the music.

Actually in the macro that launches the music I have added a sendkeys command to press F4 automatically so that when the music starts playing the lyrics appear at the same time. (Although for some reason the sendkeys F4 occasionally seems to fail so the operator still has to press F4).

However there is still a bug that Zionworx doesn't seem to always close the screen it opens for powerpoint when it should. Two examples of this are:

1) When using the macro commandActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Exit

2) When clicking or pressing Spacebar following the black "click to exit" screen appearing.

Hopefully this can be addressed in a future version? (I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Powerpoint 2003).
apwood
Intermediate

Postby AliBy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Apwood

apwood wrote:I have a powerpoint Auto_NextSlide macro that is used to automatically launch an external player in the background (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) to either play music or video and then automatically end the slideshow.

I noticed in another post (http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=821&p=3767#p3767) that you use it for VLC too and that is very entertaining.
apwood wrote:I actually use the second option most option - powerpoint macros because
- it allows me to play all video and audio format not supported by powerpoint by using VideoLAN (VLC)
- it allows the next zionworx playlist item to be cued by pressing F10 and F4
- it allow text to be displayed over the video as part of the powerpoint - something you can't do with embedded video
- it allows text to be displayed over the video as part of the next song in the zionworx playlist
... once its setup, its quick to use - copy the last powerpoint video and change the filename of the video within the macro.

Perhaps you have thus developed a good "seemless" interaction for (1) overlay and (2) simply adding videos announcements to the play list.
Could you please post your Powerpoint Macro with an explanation or a sample ppt file?
:D
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby apwood » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I have now started using VLC instead of Media Player Classic because of its overlay features - although there do seem to be some potential issues with using VLC that i have to work through, or I might only use VLC when I want video overlay (text on video).

I'm still experimenting with options and testing. Once complete I intend to post my findings.

What's the best way to do this - can I attach for example a instruction document in PDF format with pictures and poerwpoint files along with sample videos?

If deemed wortwhile for the community, could these be added to the downloads area of this website?

Is PDF better than say a word document for this purpose?
apwood
Intermediate

Postby AliBy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm

I think pdf will be OK as the file size will be smaller and can be opened by anyone.
Chris will have to respond as to how you can upload the Powerpoint etc to the user contributions/add-ons in the download area.

Initially it may be helpful just to post the macro using the "Code" button above the POST A REPLY form. I would then see if it works on my system and perhaps help you in that way.

See ya,
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby apwood » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:44 pm

I've taken things a bit further with my macro.

The macro now launches a prototype video / audio toolbar (using "AutoHotKey") that plays the video or audio by remotely controlling VLC and also controls the interaction of the video / audio with Zionworx.

I plan that the toolbar will be designed as far as possible to appear as if its part of Zionworx itself. It is started via the Powerpoint macro using various options (some of which can be changed using the toolbar itself). The options will enable settings appropriate for the following (as examples):

Standalone Video or Audio
Video or Audio with graphics / text overlayed from the powerpoint
Video or Audio with text overlayed from the next Zionworx playlist item
Looping video (as moving background) - doesn't loop smoothly though!
Ability to pause, play and replay the video / audio (as well as the powerpoint)

I'm hoping to have the prototype sufficiently ready for sharing / testing by other Zionworx users by early April.

This toolbar requires the following:

AutoHotKey installed (a free 3rd party app)
Powerpoint macros enabled
Powerpoint add-in installed and enabled that allows automation
Users to create powerpoints to launch media based on my template

I hope to provide another macro to help with creation of the powerpoints (by simply selecting the video / audio file and appropriate options). That might follow a few weeks later.
apwood
Intermediate

Postby Christian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:53 am

Hi apwood,

What you are experimenting with here sounds very interesting!
There seems to be a growing interest in using VLC with ZionWorx, and some people appear to be using the two together with very good results. When you talk about 'remote controlling' VLC, what exactly do you mean? Does VLC have an ActiveX/COM API that can be manipulated from a 3rd party application e.g. ZionWorx? Or are you posting key messages to the VLC window handle?

For future direction, I'm keen to focus on these kind of 'integration' features, like we did originally with PowerPoint and more recently with OnlineBible and BibleGateway. I see no point in re-inventing the wheel (mainly because we don't have time), but there's everything to be gained from interfacing neatly to other applications that do specific jobs well e.g. VLC.

Regarding documenting VLC setup and integration, if you can put together a useful guide with sufficient detail for newbies then we will certianly make your material available for download by other users. That would be an extremely useful resource. :)

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby apwood » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Christian,

I do believe there is an activex interface, chiefly designed for using via HTML. I haven't gone as far as to look into that. I was hoping to post messages to the video window, but the latest version of VLC seems to be ignoring messages such as WM_COMMAND. So, I've had to resort to using facilities within autohotkey - similar to sendkeys, but seem to be more reliable (not sure exactly what they are doing under the hood). So essentially I'm sending keystrokes to the VLC video window using its RC inteface ("remote control") but with the RC console window disabled via the VLC options. That enables me to use a GUI created with AutoHotKey to appear to be directly controlling VLC. I set the initial options for VLC by invoking VLC via a shell command with suitable options.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help with the task of integrating VLC properly into Zionworx - I suspect the activex interface and probably some contact with VLC developers might be needed for that. Not sure if there is a COM interface, but I think not. If there is any way I could help to properly integrate the two, I'd love to, but the work I have done so far is probably of no value in that respect. Maybe once I've completed this hack / workaround, I should look more closely at the HTTP / activex interface. If that would help, let me know.

Adrian
apwood
Intermediate

Postby Christian » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for this information.
I'll send you an email and we can continue techincal discussion outside of this thread. I would really like to develop a dedicated interface to VLC from within ZionWorx, so would appreciate any help you can offer to investigate how feasible this is, and to start capturing requirements based on your experience so far (and anybody else's).

I've started a new thread in the wish list section called "Integration with VLC" where we can start collecting this information and anybody can contribute:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=855&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Enthusiasm is infectious! :D

Cheers,
Christian
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support