BUG: Saving Playlist and Editing Songs

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

BUG: Saving Playlist and Editing Songs

Postby brainier » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:02 pm

I am making use of the feature that allows me to add songs to one copy of a database (on my computer at home), save the playlist and open this on a different installation of Zionworx (at church). I prepared the two very old songs that we were to sing today on my home computer yesterday and saved the playlist. On opening the playlist at church the new songs were imported into the church database. During the service, just before I was to project the first song, I noticed that the import from the playlist was incorrect. I think this is due to a way playlists are saved, and so hence describing this post subject as a bug.

When I created the new song to the database I added the new version of the lyrics and the clicked OK. Displayed the lyrics on the screen and opened the playlist entry for editing to remove the newer verses and "correct" the English to the older text. I then saved the playlist again when happy with my edits and took this to church. When I opened the playlist it prompted about importing, but on viewing the import found that the text in the playlist was the new version of the song and missing all my edits made after I clicked OK to finish the first set of edits.

Subsequent research on this issue today I discovered that the playlist will only save changes made before the first edit and any subsequent edits of the words are not saved to the playlist (though are shown on the screen if projected) even if one clicks the "Save" or "Save As" option. The only way to get the playlist to save all the lyric edits was to close and reopen Zionworx and create the playlist again or delete items from the playlist and readd them.

Steps to reproduce
1. Press F5 to add new song
2. Enter title, alt title, lyrics, copyright etc as needed
3. Click OK.
4. Add song to playlist
5. Save playlist (optional at this point)
6. Edit song
7. Save playlist
8. Open playlist in Notepad. Notice that the playlist XML does not contain any of the recent edits.

I suggest that if I edit a song from the playlist then the playlist is updated with the changes - I should not need to delete and readd the song. If I display the song from this edited playlist then I see my latest edits, but when I save this playlist nothing extra is saved. This leads one into the postion of thinking they have saved all their edits (and they are to the database), but they are not saved to the playlist. So in my case, I took a playlist to the church to import my changes and needed to sing the new version of the song as I did not have time to retype the lyrics once I noticed that they playlist was an old one.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Re: BUG: Saving Playlist and Editing Songs

Postby apwood » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 am

I didn't realise that playlists contained the data for songs or edits to songs. I thought that only the database contained song data. Is this a new feature?
apwood
Intermediate

Re: BUG: Saving Playlist and Editing Songs

Postby AliBy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:08 pm

This is a feature that enabled you to distribute a playlist and be sure they have the lyrics/song.
Before you would have to ensure that they have the songs or get them imported first, otherwise the playlist would point to a missing song.
Now with the lyrics embedded in the playlist there is no need for that.
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support