100% CPU usage!

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

100% CPU usage!

Postby Tony Burley » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Normaly ZionWorx works OK and the CPU usage on my laptop is less than 20%
But somtimes the laptop runs very slow and the CPU usage has gone up up to 100%
Last sunday I edited a song then had a powerpoint slide show running, when I stopped
the slide show the laptop started running very slow and the CPU usage was up to 100%
I then restarted the laptop and edited a song, locked the data base then used and stoped power point with no problem. I then unlocked the data base edited a song and ran a power point slide without locking the data base and when I stoped the slide show the CPU usage shot up to 100%
Is there a problem with leaving the data base unlocked when using power point.
The laptop is running Win XP, Offfice 2003 and ZionWorx 2.6.49
Tony Burley
Junior

Re: 100% CPU usage!

Postby stevefaber » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

Tony,

This probably won't be of much help to you, but we also use that set of software at church and have the database unlocked. I've never yet had that problem of the machine grinding to a halt because CPU usage is at 100%.

I think that the problem must be local to your machine and other processes running, I'm afraid. Which process is stealing the CPU cycles? ZW? PowerPoint? Something else?

Steve
stevefaber
Junior

Postby brainier » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 pm

To check CPU run "tasklist" from the command line in Win XP Pro (not Home). In Home (or any version of XP for that matter) open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and click the Processes tab. Then click CPU to sort the columns by CPU use. The tick at the bottom for "Show processes from all users" must be set.

Then if you get the problem again post back here the process name that is at the highest CPU, and if it's not zionworx.ex or powerpnt.exe then kill the process (unless its a process started by the SYSTEM user) and you should be ok to continue.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Tony Burley » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Thanks for the ideas and thing to check.
As the hard drive on the laptop was getting rather full, I have fitted a new larger one and reinstalled windows xp, office & Zionworx it now seems to be working OK.
Tony Burley
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support