Add new backgrounds / Windows Vista

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Add new backgrounds / Windows Vista

Postby Mirjam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I have installed Zionworx 2.6 at several computers/laptops. Most of them run Windows XP and there's no problem. But our new laptop runs with Windows Vista and I can't add new backgrounds/photo's to Zionworx\Backgrounds. I can create a new subdirectory and copy a photo to that directory, but it won't show up when I click the 'images'-button... Is this a problem specific for Windows Vista or do I do something wrong...?!

Mirjam
Mirjam
Junior

Re: Add new backgrounds / Windows Vista

Postby ChrisClark » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:38 pm

On Vista the Program Files directory is more protected then previous versions of windows and any changed files in there are treated virtually and stored per user. The installation should have created a backgrounds directory in the All Users Application Data directory - I'm not 100% sure what the Vista name is but on XP it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\ and backgrounds and data are contained within there.

So in short you shouldn't be putting the image files into a directory beneath the Program Files folder. Hopefully this helps you.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Re: Add new backgrounds / Windows Vista

Postby brainier » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 am

The <C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\> folder that Chris mentions is the correct location on Vista too.

For the more technically minded C:\Documents and Settings\ is a Juntion, that is a location in the directory that points to another location, but appears as if it were a real folder. C:\Documents and Settings == C:\Users. Inside C:\Users is another junction (or rather a Symbolic Link - similar purpose though) for All Users which points to C:\ProgramData\. Inside this folder is another Junction called Application Data, also pointing to C:\ProgramData.

So the above folder is really <C:\ProgramData\ZionWorx\2.6\>, but the original XP folder works as well. It is most likely that the original folder will work on the next version of Windows (Windows 7), which I do not have a copy of yet, so Zionworx should not have folder issues with Windows 7 - but as this folder structure is created for backward compatibility to Windows XP there is no guarantee that it will exist on "Windows 8". But as that is 4 years away at least it's not an issue for the developers now!
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support