bible verse search speed

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

bible verse search speed

Postby LexLuthor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:01 pm

I've been using zionworx for a few weeks now in service and after some initial problems I'm very pleased how well it works for presenting songs.
However with the current bible verse "search" system it is extremely hard to get the verse that the preacher is talking about on the screen on time, it takes too many clicks to show it on the screen and too long to select the book and chapters.
Since I was the one that introduced zionworx in our church, my "co-workers" now complain to me that it is just not feasible for bible presentation, and frankly I must agree with them.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? I would like to continue using zionworx for song presentation but then switch to an other program for bible verses.
Since I require specific german translations, my choice of presentation software is somewhat limited. The online bible integration was the main reason why I decided to use zionworx - but afaik theres no other free software that can access the online bible modules? or bibleserver.com?
LexLuthor
Junior

Re: bible verse search speed

Postby ChrisClark » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:23 am

Presumably you are referring to the situation when the preacher pulls out bible verses in the sermon without any prior notice(?) because it is possible to add a bible passage to a service list that only takes 1 click to display.

We will look at putting a search feature in a future update but this won't be soon enough to prevent further complaints to you. Is it not possible to get details from the preacher about what bible passages are part of the message prior to the service starting and putting them in the service list.

One possible suggestion is if you have onlinebible open and able to quickly find the passages in that program you could add a new quicknote to the service list and copy and paste the bible text into it. That would be two clicks in ZW plus whatever it takes to find the passage in onlinebible. You can then just reedit the note to set bible text for a new passage and double-click to display it.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Hills » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:57 pm

I have to say I find your comments a little puzzling. I have tried to find a bible passage in German and including connecting to Biblegateway, it didn't take very, with most of that time spent finding a German version. Once I had found a version, it was very quick.
Perhaps you could describe in more detail the circumstances where there are problems?
Maybe a little practice would help, and there is no substitute for knowing your bible.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby LexLuthor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:53 am

in online bible it was like this (with cloned monitor output):
you type e.g.: "F7" "1jo 3 7" "Enter" and the text is there.

in zionworx: scroll down the list of books, click on the list of chapters, scroll to the right chapter, select the verse(s) press the green arrow to add it to the list, double click the verse in the list.

too many steps involve mouse clicking which is just slower than using the keyboard.
With quick I meant being able to present any verse in less than 5 seconds, what I doubt you would be able to do even with a lot of practice.

I am aware that it would be fast if the preacher would give me all the verses beforehand, but I think the software should serve the preacher and not vice versa, so I don't wanna force anyone.

I've just donwloaded a little tool, that can move windows between primary and secondary screen just with a hotkey. maybe I'll use this in combination with online bible...
LexLuthor
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:30 am

I understand where you're coming from and it would be beneficial to have reference search capabilities in ZionWorx.

It is possible to use the keyboard to select the book and chapter - typing the first character/number will move through those books/chapters starting with it. Once you have selected the verses (by mouse) pressing Enter and then F4 will get the verse on the screen. This may speed up the process - though 5 seconds is a pretty tight timeframe.

My personal perspective is that software should assist in the worship and message delivery and isn't a one-way relationship between preacher/technical. So if the preacher has prepared the messages and has the scriptures available then I don't think it unreasonable to think that they would give them to the projectionist prior to service/message. After all this helps in the delivery of the message they've prepared.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Hills » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:28 pm

[Insert emoticon: scratches head]
Just curious, how long would it take to look up a passage in the printed bible? How many people could find 1 John 3 7 in less than 5 seconds? Isn't that a more valid comparison?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby webmaster » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:29 am

I don't know any minister that does not plan his service without the bible readings they are going to use.

All good ministers plan the worship to some degree and have some kind of plan.

In fact most have the sermon written down in note format as they usually save them for future use/reference.

The software is quick enough to produce a bible verse on demand if not known before hand however you should get a list before the worship of bible readings as I am sure you do the songs.

The songs are like bible readings in a service usually picked because of the message they will bring to the worship to compliment the bible readings and sermon.

I am sure if you asked the minister he would have a list of readings he/she plans to use in the service.

I know our minister does and all visiting ministers to our church have been really happy to let me have this before worship.

Zionworx in worship is an aid to make things easier... in the past the minister would tell people what bible reading he was about to read and we would then have to wait while those who like to follow on find it in the bibles in front of them find the particular reading about a 30secs to a minute , I see no difference when using zionworx ppt or any media package other than it is quicker than 30secs I timed myself last night.

I think with preperation anda discussion withthe minister you could make the worship really slick however you should get the minister involved as he will then understand the time taken to display words up on the screen and also why having some planned worship plan would help too.

Not saying I am against Zionworx inproving, I just see that we need to check our working on media desks to see if we can prepare and do things the most professional.

I was at another church recently and it was really a mess what had been done as the operator knew nothing of what was happening and it showed by what was happening on the screen.

Anyway hope this helps to give some pointers in improving your church media.

Regards
Edd

I
Webdesign and hosting http://www.hairydogdesigns.com We can design FLash, Standard HTML and CMS sites using PHP and MySQL systems. For a Quote feel free to email Sales@hairydogdesigns.com
webmaster
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support