Beginner needs help!

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Beginner needs help!

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi! I'm new to Zionworx, but it seems ideal for our situation ... we're worshipping in a school and we have access to a digital projector. I use a laptop with only one monitor output socket (can you tell already I'm not a techy?!) .. I'm happy to purchase a small additional monitor, but what do I do about connections? Is there an adaptor available for doubling up the socket?

What cables would I need in addition?

Thanks!

[We're in the school until our new building is finished. When we move back, we'll have digital projection ... but are generally a small church with very limited finance. So Zionworx is ideal for us, since others can easily download it and we're not then limited to just one or two people with the equipment and know-how.]
pilgrim xx
pilgrim
Junior

Re: Beginner needs help!

Postby brainier » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Just plug the projector into the laptop and off you go!

If your laptop is running Vista it will detect the projector, if Windows XP you might need to enable the projector as the second monitor - see elsewhere on this forum/internet for setting up dual monitor display with a laptop. The laptop screen needs to be Monitor 1 and the Projector Monitor 2.

Then start Zionworx, type in your songs (unless you use Songs of Fellowship from Kingsway, and have the CD). See elsewhere on the forum for how to get a Zionworx download for the songs in books 3 and 4. Copyright law stops the program being distributed with song words that are not public domain.

Then during the service the laptop screen is used to control the playlist and the projection screen shows the output. All you might need is a long VGA cable to link the laptop to the projector assuming you do not want to sit at the front of the church/school.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby pilgrim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am

Thank you ... but I've hunted high and low on this forum for setting up dual monitor with a laptop and failed miserably!! (The search keeps returning 'words too common')

The laptop we first tried runs Vista, this one runs XP ... Vista laptop connected to the projector via f5 and then we could see Zionworx desktop, so I'll try again, and perhaps take XP laptop too, and experiment with both. We only have access on Sunday mornings and it's all a bit of a rush!

Thanks again ...
pilgrim xx
pilgrim
Junior

Postby brainier » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am

Don't use the keys on the keyboard to set the monitor up. They typically just output the laptop display on the external monitor/projector.

In Control Panel > Personalization > Display Settings (Vista) or Control Panel > Display > Advanced (XP) select the second monitor (you need to have already plugged in the projector and turned it on) and enable it. Click Identify and the number 1 should appear on the laptop and 2 on the projector display.

Now start Zionworx. Don't start Zionworx before the two monitors are working, or ZW will only display on monitor 1.

For dual monitor stuff see:
http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=638
[url]See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104[/url]
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby pilgrim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 am

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of basic instructions I need :)

God bless you XX
pilgrim xx
pilgrim
Junior

Postby pilgrim » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm

And thank you again ... I had time to play with the equipment this am and managed to do all I had hoped ... including seeing how to project Impress presentaions :)

Now off to explore downloading an online Bible NIV ...
pilgrim xx
pilgrim
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support