F2 in Dual Monitor Mode

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

F2 in Dual Monitor Mode

Postby GatewayVP » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 pm

I have a PC with two monitors which I use for the central zionworx database for our church. I have a problem with the way the dual monitors operate. Opening ZW, it appears on the primary monitor but without a display on the secondary. F12 doesn't help -- all that's on the secondary is what was there before I opened ZW. In order to get on with what I was doing with testing, I thought I'd try F2. Mistake! I now have a completely black screen that I can't escape from. Hitting F2 again doesn't restore the former glory. Closing and reopening ZW doesn't help as it retains the closing state. I have done this once before (so why do it again you ask? -- I asked the same question AFTER I'd done it, but I had forgotten!). The only cure I have come up with so far is to uninstall and reinstall. I'd hate to have to do this during a service!!! As I am in the middle of updating the central DB for distribution to all our operators, I need to be able to get back to a visible state rather urgently. Can anyone help?
GatewayVP
Junior

Re: F2 in Dual Monitor Mode

Postby vetto » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 am

I assume that the second monitor is completely operational...
1. Is it set to "clone" mode or "extended desktop" mode in Windows? (It should be "extended")
2. When you press "identify" in the display settings in Windows, does the secondary light up with a "2"? (If you cant get this, ZW will never work)
3. Does the secondary monitor work if you drag a window from the primary screen over to the secondary?

I dont mean to assume that you are ignorant of how dual screens work, but I have to check. :wink:
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Ctrl & F9 toggles the presentation screen on and off. Have you done this somehow?

Or how about stopping ZW on the secondary display, only having it on the primary, then perhaps the F2 function will work correctly and you can then restore ZW to the secondary display.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby GatewayVP » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:08 am

Because of the graphics cars I have in my PC, my main monitor is actually [2]. Nothing else I use seems to have a problem with this arrangement. However, I have tried swapping them around (in screen properties) and it doesn't make any difference to the 'lockout' I'm experiencing.

I have secondary set to extend.

I open ZW, an application icon appears on the app bar and the main screen goes black. Nothing happens on the secondary.

Changing settings to single monitor does result in a dialogue popping up when I hit [F2]. If the screen is black, [F2] clears to the apps icon (as in minimised) and [F2] again then maximises . . . back to a blank/black screen. I can't get at anything within ZW to change anything.

[Ctrl] + [F9] has the same affect.
GatewayVP
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm a little confused with your setup. How do the congregation see the words?
Does it work with one monitor and projector?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:20 pm

If you are getting a message with F2 then you won't be on the latest version of ZionWorx though I'm not sure being on the latest version would affect your situation.

How have you got the displays arranged in the Settings tab of Display Properties? By the sounds of it, if you have your second display as the primary monitor then ZW is probably trying to display the presentation in a different monitor position. If you try actually dragging the secondary monitor (1st display) to the right or left of the primary monitor and see if the ZW presentation window then shows up. Can you let us know what layout you have though? We will have to do some investigation around dual monitors in your configuration and what F2 does to this.

To correct your current situation open the ZWSettings.ini file in notepad and find and delete 2 lines starting with "Form Left", "Form Top". Hopefully this will get it displaying in the default position again. If this doesn't change anything then delete (or rename) the ZWSettings.ini file. You shouldn't need to reinstall ZionWorx.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Laney1 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:13 am

I have just been through the problem of dual monitors working back to front, and hence the F2 problem. Having put in a second graphics card, my computer, on starting up, found the new card ahead of the origional one (and called it No.1). When this happens you notice that the second monitor switches on ahead of the main monitor at startup. The cure is to enter the bios setup and tell the machine which graphics card to use for the default primary monitor. Problem solved. As mentioned earlier press the identify button in the display settings to see if this is your problem first.
Laney1
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support