Using VLC for Text Over Video....

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Re: Using VLC for Text Over Video....

Postby AliBy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 am

This may not be the answer you want? When helping others it is often the first question I ask, but I fell to it myself.
I got the overlay working at work on my laptop and on both the church's computers, but it just stayed Black on my PC at home with no VLC video?
Eventually, checking the hardware details I noticed that the Nvidia driver was dated "2005" :shock:

After I upgraded to a newer driver it fixed the issue. If it slipped your mind try this. Hopefully, it is as simple as that.

Note that it doesn't matter if ZionWorx or VLC is started first.
:)
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby AliBy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 am

kjacobs wrote:The only issue I've noticed with VLC is that it does not transition smoothly from the end of a video clip to the beginning when looping. Video clips hesitate for a quick second then repeat. If there was a way to smooth out the transitions then incorporating VLC would be great, with its playlist and multi video supoort. My concern is that if video is incorporated, transitions need to be smooth when looping and when switching from one video background to the next. Easy Worship does transitions between video backgrounds very smoothly. Can that be addressed if VLC is built into Zionworx????

I have posted a question on the VLC forum regarding this and am hoping there are some bright-sparks who can resolve this soon.
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45574

:|
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby vetto » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:08 pm

AliBy wrote:After I upgraded to a newer driver it fixed the issue. If it slipped your mind try this. Hopefully, it is as simple as that.

LOL, that actually did slip my mind. I will try that.
AliBy wrote:Note that it doesn't matter if ZionWorx or VLC is started first.

I did figure this out, thanks.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby kjacobs » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:13 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I've been off solving DMX lighting issues the past couple weeks.

AliBy, thanks for your post on the Videolan forum. I read through it and you explained things quite well. I tried contacting them quite a while ago about the same issue. At the time, they were working on other issues and smooth video looping wasn't a high priority. I like the read ahead idea, hopefully you posted that to their feature request forum.

Vetto, I hope you solved your video issues. And yes, you can start either program first. I think I was having some weird issues going on when I first starting experimenting with the video backgrounds.
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby AliBy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:46 am

I posted a feature request, targeting a Playlist Cache / "Read Ahead" perspective as I think it should receive more buy in from the community.

I think that would also solve our "stuttering background video loop" issue. We'll have to see if it gets any more support from other users and/or the developers. Maybe some more posts there will help?

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45687

:D
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby kjacobs » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 pm

I went over there and left my two cents worth. Hopefully, someone will take some notice.

Ken
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby AliBy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:12 am

TA ...
:wink:
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby CardassianScot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 pm

For anyone like me who wants to do this but doesn't want to have to keep changing the preferences for vlc because they use their laptop normally with vlc on one screen, here's how to do it.

Make another shortcut for vlc (you can copy and paste the existing one) and use the following as the target (right click on the short cut and choose properties, then choose the shortcut tab).

Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -f --no-embedded-video  --directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY2" --no-video-deco

-f put's it in fullscreen
--no-embedded-video gives you a control on the first screen
--directx-device="\\.\DISPLAY2" puts it on the second screen
--no-video-deco disables the window decorations and means it doesn't briefly flash up a border before going fullscreen

Now you can launch your original icon for normal vlc and this one for dualscreen vlc.
CardassianScot
Junior

Postby Derick Mathew » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:51 am

help im not able to see the video once ZW starts

im using vlc 0.86

i followed the instruction given above to the best of my abilities

please do help
Derick Mathew
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Firstly, you need to make sure that you have set up your monitor and projector correctly under extended desktop. The instructions assume that the projector is the secondary display.
So, can you open notepad and drag onto the projector display so that it only shows on the projector display?
Secondly, you need to carefully check the settings described in post 1 of this thread, any error will cause things to fail.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby Derick Mathew » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:10 pm

i did connect the projector in the extended screen mode and yes i did follow the steps only difference is that i am running vlc 0.86 and not version 0.85
Derick Mathew
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm running ver 0.8.6 successfully.
Ok, reset preferences to the default. Does it run on the primary screen ok?
Use the preferences described in #1 or above by CScott. What happens? What picture do you get and what sound?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby Paul_rachel_ryan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:57 am

I've upgraded to the latest and greatest VLC (0.99) and this seems much more stable using the second screen for output full screen with the control still on the first screen. Could never get previous versions working. For me a critical step was to make sure the video was NOT embedded as well as set to \\.\DISPLAY2, otherwise I just got black screens.

Anyway, been playing with setting liturgy over video. Our church goes back to the 11 century and the current building is at least 300 years old, so it is not really designed for public events! For baptisms during the service, only people very close to the font right at the back of church have any idea what is happening, so I have been trying to put the live video feed onto the screen using a camera. Works great, but then how do you get the words up? I tried using a song for the words, setting the transparancy option and this works fine, but the text editing is a bit limited. Then it occured to me - if you save a powerpoint with the same 0,0,1 background (just go to the custom settings in powerpoint) then you can put whatever formating etc you like on top of live video! It is very cool :-) Makes it easier now to see what the leader says and what the response is (using bold / italics etc).

Anyway thought I would pass this on in case others found it useful.
Paul_rachel_ryan
Junior

Postby Perdimia » Fri May 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Help

I have carefully read instruction and carried them out several times.

Video is playing, but unable to get it through over/under Zionworx.

I cannot see anything on my graphics card about overlaying.
Using VLC version 0.9.9 with XP and Matrox G450 dual head graphics card.
Can anyone help please!!!!

Ceri
Perdimia
Junior

Postby brainier » Fri May 22, 2009 9:48 pm

If you minimise ZW do you see the video on the second monitor?

If so, open PowerPoint (or even MSPaint) and draw a box that is filled with a colour that is 0 for red, 0 for green and 1 for blue (this box will appear black, but it is not black as that is 0,0,0 for red, green, blue and this box is 0,0,1).

Drag the MSPaint/PowerPoint window onto the second monitor - the video should appear in the place of the box. Everything else is as normal.

If this does not work update your video drivers and reset VLC (using the VLC reset program on the start menu) and begin again. Ensure that the background of the songs in ZW is 0,0,1 and that you have saved the song style so that you can use this background for any time you want video. And don't use 0,0,1 colour in anything else - or the background will "leak" through.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

PreviousNext

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support