Using VLC for Text Over Video....

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Using VLC for Text Over Video....

Postby kjacobs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I have been experimenting with using VLC to play moving video backgrounds behind lyrics in Zionworx. This can be done fairly easily and allows creating a playlist for video backgrounds as well as supporting live video capture. First you set up VLC as vetto describes in another post:

This thing will play virtually ANYTHING. DVD, VCD, and any other media format almost.

Below is the config for VLC that will set this up:

1. Firstly update VLC to version 0.85 as it has fixed a number of the bugs in v0.84
2. Edit the shortcut to VLC so that there are no options after vlc.exe
3. Reset VLC's preferences (Then restart VLC)
4. "Settings - Preferences" ... tick "Advanced Options"
4.a. Under Video/Output Modules set "Video output Module" to DirectX.
5. Set display device in "Preferences/Video/Output Modules/DirectX". You will have to press "Refresh List" then select "\.\\DISPLAY2"
6. Set "Full Screen" in "Preferences/Video"
7. Unitck "Embed video in Interface" under "Interface/Main Interfaces/wxWidgets"
8. Click "Save"
9. Restart VLC

The above setup is for dual screen....if using single screen set step 5 to "\.\\DISPLAY1"

Once this is set, you must set the background color for your songs in ZW to a custom color. Go into the background color for the slide and set the color to Red = 0, Green = 0, Blue = 1. Save that as a custom color so you can use it for other songs as well.

It is important to start VLC before Zionworx, as I have found (at least in single screen mode) that ZW will not display lyrics over the backgrounds if started first. Run VLC and start the background running, then start ZW. With the ZW background color set to 0,0,1....you should see the moving background behind the lyrics.

If you want add scripture or songs to the playlist without the moving background, just select a different color, image or photo....when displayed the moving background will be replaced with the new image or photo.

Note: The F10, F11, F12 fade does not work well over the VLC background. Also, be careful with some photos...as some dark photos may include the 0,0,1 color combo, which may allow the background to "sneek" through.

Give it a shot and do some experimenting. God bless.

Ken
Peak Worship Ministries
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Re: Using VLC for Text Over Video....

Postby vetto » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:36 pm

COOL, I never thought of trying that! I will give it a shot here in a little bit (not sure I want to do this during service, but you never know!)
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby kjacobs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Our primary use for text over video is for a live camera video feed. VLC does video looping, but the pause each time it loops is a little too obvious to use it for motion video background loops. However, VLC also supports video capture and our primary use is for Image Magnification at worship events and conferences...worship leader camera shots with the lyrics at the bottom of the screen. So far, the Zionworx and VLC combo seems to work well for this in our testing. And when we want to show a scripture for a speaker or special announcement, we put a photoshop designed graphic background behind the scripture which blocks out the VLC background while the scripture is up. All in all, a solid setup so far.

Ken
Last edited by kjacobs on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby AliBy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:11 am

Hi Ken

I want to try this again as I stuggled to get the overlay on dual screen.
Some posts referred to using wall paper mode, but that didn't solve the issue.
I will try tonight and let you know later

I presume you are using a dual screen setup?

Alistair
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby kjacobs » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi Alistair,

I have used this both in single screen mode and in dual screen mode. It works either way...the only difference is step 5 in vetto's instructions (see gray box in first post). The instructions as posted should place the VLC video on screen 2 in fullscreen mode (see the note below the box for single screen). The VLC controls and playlist stay on the primary screen. I did not do anything with wallpaper mode (although I have seen that posted as well).

Once VLC is started, you should see a video running on screen 2. When you start Zionworx, the 2nd screen will go black (zionworx starts in blackout). Hit F12 to bring up text and background. Choose a song or scripture. Set its background color to Red = 0, Green = 0, Blue = 1. As soon as you set the background color, you should see the video already playing through on the preview panel. I was working with it last night and was even able to run a DVD behind my song lyrics. Hope this helps.....good luck.

Ken
Peak Worship Ministries
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby vetto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:48 am

I dont get why a background of 0,0,1 shows the underlaying video while other color combos do not...is that some secret color combo known only to those with the secret programmer's handshake?
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby kjacobs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 am

I'm no programming expert my any means. I actually found that secret on the forum for Opensong where someone else suggested the same thing. I figured I'd give it a shot for Zionworx and see what happened. Surprise, surprise!
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby brainier » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:41 am

The overlay key colour cannot be changed in the current versions of VLC. So need to make sure that you have nothing else apart from the Zionworx background using RGB 001 (an almost black colour), otherwise those bits of the screen will disappear into the video background too.

Video overlay must also be turned on (Settings > Preferences > Video, check Advanced and set Overlay video output). Your graphics card also needs to support video overlay (as it is the graphics card that is really doing the work) - most cards now days will do, but onboard (Attached to motherboard) cards might not. Turn of fades and anti-alias text as well.

Notes:

1. This works in any version of Zionworx, as it is a feature of VLC and the graphics card. See http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=650&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a for a post in the 2.5 support forum for this about six months ago.
2 .I have an abstract AVI with floating colours (http://www.reid.co.uk/zwbg.zip - 19Mb) that was given to me for this purpose which works well at 1/4 speed.
3. You need to set the background of the default style and info bar to the above values, or edit settings.ini to show:
Back Colour=65536
Info Back Colour=65536
4. Set the aspect-ratio correctly in VLC if you have a widescreen monitor or projector
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby vetto » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:00 pm

I get it...I just looked at winamp and it has some overlay features that allow you to config the "magic" color (defaults to black). (also allows you to set the magic color to "desktop color" so that it replaces the desktop wallpaper with video overlay).

I assume that VLC uses 0,0,1 as the magic color for the background to the video overlay with no config option to change it. (maybe you can change this but I did'nt look into it).

Basically the video is NOT under the zionworx overlay and zw is somehow turning transparent, but rather the video is on-top and is rendering onto all pixels that are the magic color. (thus the resulting image is a video with zw text over it.) To test this theory, make the background red and the text 0,0,1 and you should see the video in the text only.

Very cool
vetto
Senior

Postby AliBy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:19 am

Ken

I got it working and it's great.
We now use VLC for animated backgrounds and PowerPoint for other videos (embedding them in a single slide).
:idea:

I have downloaded some of the sample animated backgrounds from FeedBackVideo. On some of the LowRes files the pixels are obvious, but on many of them it is not apparent.
http://www.feedbackvideo.com/ - just check cause some have water marks.

Another great source is
http://www.movietools.info

If you find any other sources let us know.
:D
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby Christian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi folks,

I read this thread with interest...
Would any of you consider putting together some comprehensive information to describe to a new user how to start experimenting with VLC and alongside ZionWorx?

Hints/tips, pitfalls to avoid, hardware requirements etc?

It seems that there's a lot of expertise here that many other people could benefit from.
Any volunteers?

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby brainier » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:22 am

And from your viewpoint Christian, is it possible to build VLC into Zionworx? Then you solve the video overlay feature that has been on the cards for ages with little extra work.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Christian » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Mmmm... another interesting suggestion...
I just checked the website and noticed that an ActiveX control is provided so actually this could be possible :shock:

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby kjacobs » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 pm

The only issue I've noticed with VLC is that it does not transition smoothly from the end of a video clip to the beginning when looping. Video clips hesitate for a quick second then repeat. If there was a way to smooth out the transitions then incorporating VLC would be great, with its playlist and multi video supoort. My concern is that if video is incorporated, transitions need to be smooth when looping and when switching from one video background to the next. Easy Worship does transitions between video backgrounds very smoothly. Can that be addressed if VLC is built into Zionworx????
Peak Worship Ministries
Hood River, OR USA
kjacobs
Junior

Postby vetto » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Ken, I cant get the video and ZW to play together... I get the video on the second screen (following my own directions :) ) but when ZW blots the video out. Even with the bg color of 0,0,1. Anyone know what other setting to check? My second vid card is in video overlay.
Matt

kjacobs wrote:Once VLC is started, you should see a video running on screen 2. When you start Zionworx, the 2nd screen will go black (zionworx starts in blackout). Hit F12 to bring up text and background. Choose a song or scripture. Set its background color to Red = 0, Green = 0, Blue = 1. As soon as you set the background color, you should see the video already playing through on the preview panel. I was working with it last night and was even able to run a DVD behind my song lyrics. Hope this helps.....good luck.
vetto
Senior

Next

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support