Importing Songs from Word or Text File

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Importing Songs from Word or Text File

Postby jmcgwen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:29 am

Hi,

Is there a way to import song(s) from a word doc or a text file? Our church laptop was stolen so we've lost everything. Our church secretary is currently typing the songs while we are looking for a new laptop, i was hoping there's an easier way than cut and pasting everything again into Zionworx.

thanks in advance
John
jmcgwen
Junior

Re: Importing Songs from Word or Text File

Postby brainier » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:52 am

Not unless you have a backup of the database folder. Sorry
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Jonathan Hills » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:17 pm

It's crucial that you do regular backups. Your hard drive could fail and with no backup, you would likely be in the same position that you are now
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby jmcgwen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:03 am

Oh well, i guess we'll have to do it the hard way. Neways thanks for the advice guys, i'll make sure we do keep a backup of the database regularly.

Cheers
John
jmcgwen
Junior

Postby kck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm working on this - see http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum_3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=717

The first bit is available but probably doesn't help you much. I've got other possibilities on the go but they probably won't be ready early enough for you, I'm afraid.

Steve
kck
Senior

Re: Importing Songs from Word or Text File - Songs of Fellowship

Postby kck » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 pm

OK, deep breath . . .

I've put another facility live that I hope will be found useful.
It is also intended to make data available for easy import into Zionworx without breaking the law but it works somewhat differently to the SongPro conversion facility.

This one assumes you have the SoF CD. It asks you for the code written on the CD (in tiny characters under the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo) and also asks you to upload a file from the disc.
It compares the CD code with the data you have requested and does some checks to test the validity of the file. If everything passes then it returns a file.
It doesn't actually convert the file. Instead it returns a file that I have created from the files on the discs. This has been a long and laborious process requiring a number of automated processes and a considerable amount of manual editing - the main reason for the delay.

There are two versions of each download. Both have the song title taken from the first line (or lines) in the song but one has the alternative title from the book (if there is one) while the other has the song number following a code, e.g., "SOF2: 935 My Jesus my Saviour"

So far I've only posted SoF books 1 & 2. I'm still working on book 3 and hopefully book 4 will follow that. I've also got one or two other CDs that I'd like to have a look at if time allows.

It can be found in the same place as the SongPro conversion - http://www.steveprior.plus.com/zionworx/index.htm

Let me know if you have any problems or find any errors in the files (quite likely - the editing process is very boring!)

Steve
kck
Senior

Postby kck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Songs of Fellowship Book 3 is now available from the same facility.
http://www.steveprior.plus.com/zionworx/index.htm

Steve
kck
Senior

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support