NIV import from Online Bible

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

NIV import from Online Bible

Postby paulstokes » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:22 pm

It is possible to obtain a licensed electronic NIV from the OnlineBible - it requires both the Bible file and also the unlock key (which you have to purchase, obviously).

Obviously a lot of us would like to access the NIV, so my query is whether there is a conversion/export approach that would allow us to buy the OLB's NIV, and then convert it for use with Zionworx. AFAIK this not a question of Zionworx sorting a license with Zondervan, but rather a user having access to their electronic copy via a different interface.

Any ideas?
Plymstock United Church
http://www.plymstock.org.uk
paulstokes
Senior

Re: NIV import from Online Bible

Postby webmaster » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:29 pm

If you have an online connection you have full access to NIV via bible gateway, you can also create a service sheet at home(or live internet connection) and then move it to the non networked oc.

With regards to import facilitys we are always looking at ways to import data.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Zionworx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby paulstokes » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Edd, yes I'm aware of the online facility... but the church doesn't have that facility and therefore the data file needs to be on the PC. Sure, I could start transfering XML files, but I'd rather have it simply there as an option - partly because I look after more than one church and therefore am not always at the one which uses Zwx.

AFAIK there are two definite contexts online for obtaining electronic Bibles - e-sword and OnlineBible. One utilises STEP, as well as another format I think. The second uses its own format. If there was a filter/import package that enabled us to make the same files available in Zionworx, that would be great. ...but it'll take someone with a bit of know-how to solve that one!

LOVE Zionworx - bless y'all !
Plymstock United Church
http://www.plymstock.org.uk
paulstokes
Senior

Postby webmaster » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 am

We are working with the owners of NIV at the moment to see if we can come up with a solution.

However I feel it won't be a cheap solution for the zionworx team and if this is the case we may have to charge for this Bible add on.

The owners of the NIV copyright are very protective of this translation so we have to abide by the rules until we have permission to add it to our bible list.

We also have invetisgated other avenues such as esword in the past.

So we are working on it, but as always when copyrights are involved it can take a while, even the esword translations have a copyright on them so we cannot just import them without the owners permission as he would have a set condtions laid down by the main copyright holder which could prevent the bible being used on a third party program such as Zionworx.

I hope this explains some of the issues we have in supplying bibles ( Not just the NIV) we have done a deal with the bible society that allows the ones which we have on the site, hopefully we can get this list to grow....Please pray for this.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Zionworx Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby ChrisClark » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Good News!

We have had success in contacting the Online Bible providers and they have an interface that we are able to use to access their installed bible modules. This will allow people who have bought a NIV bible (and other translations) through them to access it via ZionWorx. The proviso is that Online Bible software must be installed on the ZionWorx computer as the access is through the actual application.

We have begun integrating this interface into ZionWorx and it will be released in the next version.

Regards,
Chris
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support