"Please run from Administrator account"

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

"Please run from Administrator account"

Postby ta_mosquito » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I downloaded version 2.6 to try out. When I try to run it, I get an error message: "Please run this program from the Administrator account so it can set up your license. Once the license is set up, you can run it from any account."

I AM the administrator account! I'm the ONLY account on my computer.

Running Vista Premium

Thoughts?
ta_mosquito
Junior

Re: "Please run from Administrator account"

Postby webmaster » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17 pm

sometimes Vist will ask to go into Administrator mode. My Vista Machine which I am logged into as main admin still asks me if I allow as administrator the program to install.

I have however no experience with premium but I can assure you this issue is a Windows rights issue and not zionworx. infact zionworx does not ask for any particular rights. Windows on the other hand does.

I hope this clarifys how it works.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Webmaster
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby ta_mosquito » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info. For clarification, I was able to install it but not to run it once installed.

I did figure it out: I went to the program icon in its folder, right clicked, and selected "Run as Administrator." That allowed me to open and run the program.

Posting this in case anyone else has the same issue and doesn't know what to do...
ta_mosquito
Junior

Postby brainier » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:34 pm

During testing of this product I noticed that the licence I had entered remained regardless of the fact that I uninstalled the product many times. Therefore I did not see this issue during testing.

Where is the licence info stored? Does anyone know? It would clearly seem to be somewhere in Program Files or the LocalMachine area of the registry. These locations can only be written to by an installer program or then the user account is running in elevated mode. You may be logged in as an administrator account, but you do not get administrator permissions until you request them. This happens either when the program starts (if Vista knows the program would require them - for example a program called setup.exe will prompt at execution as it is very likely that it will need them), but a program called zionworx.exe will not (unless it comes with a Vista manifest file, which it does not - as apart from registration it would seem, it does not need them).

So to register the product requires admin rights and to run as with an elevated account. Which as the previous post mentions is to right-click the program exe or icon and choose "Run as administrator". If you have disabled User Account Control (UAC) - not recommended - then you always run programs with full admin rights even if they do not need them and so would not get this issue.

This might be something to add to the readme of the next release and to the email that comes with the registration code.

Brian
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support