Problem with Access violations on Win 98SE

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Problem with Access violations on Win 98SE

Postby stephen.head » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Hello.

I have just downloaded Zionworx 2.6 and installed it - this appeared to work OK, but when I try to use it, I get the '60-day evaluation' screen, and then I get a message box saying 'A call to an OS function failed', followed by one saying 'Access violation at address 00456806 in module 'ZIONWORK.EXE' Read of address FFFFFFFF'. Then the program starts, but most things I try result in an access violation with varying addresses, but essentially the same message as above. This also happens when trying to close the program, and the only way out is through Task Manager (and you get the message then too!)

I am using Windows 98SE, on an 800Mhz PIII, 128MB RAM. I have tried switching off the virus checker (AVG Free) and most other background programs, but to no effect.

Any Ideas?

PS. I had previously downloaded, but not installed, v2.5, so I uninstalled 2.6, installed 2.5 and tried that - it worked. So I downloaded the upgrade and installed that - I get the same problem as installing the full version. (incidentally, the sizes on the download page are about 1MB too low for both the full version (4 rather than 3) and the upgrade (2.76 really, not 1.73MB). The installs also failed to create the start menu menus that I was expecting, although it didn't say there was a problem.
stephen.head
Junior

Re: Problem with Access violations on Win 98SE

Postby Christian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Stephen, thanks for reporting this...

At the moment I have very few clues what the problem could be, but it's apparently something specific to Windows 98 not supporting a function that the application is requesting.

I have to confess that we didn't test this release on Windows 98 as we didn't have a PC available with it installed on.

Does the first error message appear before or after you hit the 'OK' button when the 60-day message comes up?

We will try to investigate this for you anyway... if you can give any more information then please do.

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby stephen.head » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:37 am

The first message appears after clicking OK on the initial 'please register' popup.

I have now registered in any case, and now the 'OS function failed' box is the first thing that appears.

As I said before, 2.5 was fine - so something in the load sequence must have changed (a new DLL call?) ?

What sort of additional information would be useful? (I am happy to try things out - you can contact me direct if necessary.)

Stephen
stephen.head
Junior

Postby Joff » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:21 pm

We have had the same problem. We updated Zionworx with the new version. All went ok. However upon opening the program we had the same 'A call to an OS function failed' error, and quickly realised that it was useless on a Win 98 system. We also were not able to exit the program in the usual manner. We had to do a CTRL, ALT, DEL, End Task to close the program.

We reverted back to 2.5, but we have lost our song database! We did have a slightly older backup copy of the song database (fortunately), but there appears to be no way to retrieve the newer database that was on our system before the 2.6 update, consequently we have lost several songs which need to be re-entered again.
Joff
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 am

FYI: We have just released a new version of ZionWorx that will work on Windows 98. There is an issue noted in the changes regarding the bible verses being displayed on one line, but other than that the functionality is the same
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support