bible gateway

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

bible gateway

Postby jamesp » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:47 am

Thanks for the new version. A very nice Christmas present.

Only one hiccup so far: when I try to get a Bible passage from Bible Gateway I click the globe and get this message:
Error retrieving version details from online bible. Check internet connection and try again.

I've checked the internet connection and it is fine.
jamesp
Intermediate

Re: bible gateway

Postby brainier » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:02 pm

It's a bug in the product. Exit the application and restart and it works. Exiting the app updates the ZWSettings.ini file correctly. This issue though seems to exist only on XP. On Vista it works fine the first time you run the application.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby jamesp » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks!
jamesp
Intermediate

Postby vetto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:05 pm

brainier wrote:This issue though seems to exist only on XP.

And Win2k...first time I ran it after the upgrade it gave this same error.
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby vetto » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:30 pm

After restarting it still fails (same error).

Now I have moved the data folder to another location as well as the backgrounds.(keeping all that stuff in the user profile is a topic for another thread..) and the rest of the program works fine.
What do you mean by updating the ini file? What should it look like?

Any ideas? Win2k and ZW2.6-01
-- worship is an active, deliberate, and rewarding act of love...just being there is not enough
vetto
Senior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Here's mine:
[Program Screen]
Unlock DB=1
GUI Language=en
Enable PowerPoint=1
Max PowerPoint Slides=50
Exit Confirmation Prompt=1
DisableScreenSaver=0
Database Path=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\Data\
Auto Update Full Text Index=1
Font Name=Arial Unicode MS
Font Size=9
Bold=0
Italic=0
Font Colour=0
Last Viewed Image Folder=
Left Split Ratio=0.3
Right Split Ratio=0.73125
Form Left=0
Form Top=0
Form Width=0
Form Height=0
Bible Gateway Name=http://www.biblegateway.com/
DB Form Width=500
DB Form Height=500
[Presentation Screen]
Lyric Font Name=Arial
Lyric Font Size=40
Lyric Font Bold=0
Lyric Font Italic=0
Lyric Font Colour=0
Text Style=0
Horizontal Align=0
Back Colour=8454143
Back Image=
Image Alignment=1
Shadow Width=1
Shadow Colour=0
Outline Width=3
Outline Colour=0
Top Margin=0.04
Bottom Margin=0.04
Left Margin=0.04
Right Margin=0.04
Image Top Margin=0.04
Image Bottom Margin=0.04
Image Left Margin=0.04
Image Right Margin=0.04
Antialias Level=1
CCL Number=1805
Display Copyright=1
Split Copyright Text=1
Info Back Colour=0
Info Font Name=Arial Unicode MS
Info Font Size=10
Info Font Bold=1
Info Font Italic=0
Info Font Colour=16777215
Fade Speed=1000
Fade Steps=32
Custom Colors=ColorA=FFFFFFFF,ColorB=FFFFFFFF,ColorC=FFFFFFFF,ColorD=FFFFFFFF,ColorE=FFFFFFFF,ColorF=FFFFFFFF,ColorG=FFFFFFFF,ColorH=FFFFFFFF,ColorI=FFFFFFFF,ColorJ=FFFFFFFF,ColorK=FFFFFFFF,ColorL=FFFFFFFF,ColorM=FFFFFFFF,ColorN=FFFFFFFF,ColorO=FFFFFFFF,ColorP=FFFFFFFF

This is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\Data\
whereas the app is in c:\program files
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby gagar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:15 am

If you have a firewall, don't forget to check if it is blocking zionworx from connecting to the net.
gagar
Junior

Postby brainier » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

Of course, firewalls that block outbound are a waste of time - they exist to stop you infecting other computers on your network - but they should have stopped you being infected in the first place!

Zionworx's requests data over TCP port 80 (HTTP). So if you can surf the web, then ZW should work.
Brian Reid
brainier
Expert User

Postby Jonathan Hills » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 pm

If you haven't fully patched your pc, then regardless of your firewall settings, a virus/trojan can exploit the security weaknesses of an application that you have permitted to connect to the net.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby vetto » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Ok...wierd.

First of all, I dont like all the data and stuff in the AppData folder. So I moved alot of it to the installation directory and the database to another drive. My zwsettings.ini is still in the appdata folder, but not under "data" ...it is in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6". It updates with changes in settings, but I placed a copy in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\data\" also and now biblegateway works! This settings file however, does NOT get updated when changes are made.

Any thoughts?
vetto
Senior

Postby brainier » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Settings files only get updated in the correct folder - you cannot change this.

The program (binaries) is in Program Files, Application Data (ini files and database) is in ProgramData (Vista) or Application Data (XP).

The reason why the split is all to do with permissions. Windows is designed that programs and data to make programs work are stored in different places, and Vista enforces this.
Brian Reid
brainier
Expert User

Postby vetto » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 am

I totally understand keeping the setting and data from the program (as a linux user, I get the paradigm) however I keep the database and the backgrounds on a separate drive for added data recoverability if the "C:" drive fails and I have to reinstall. (in linux my home drive is on a separate drive so this is not a problem)

:?: what should the app data directory structure look like? I want to restore it to the correct installed configuration and then just keep the database on the "D" drive as set in the ZW preference dialog.
vetto
Senior

Postby brainier » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:13 pm

In the ProgramData\Zionworx\2.6\ folder you will (eventually) see ZWSettings.ini, ZWmargins.ini, ZWstyles.ini and bible_data.xml. There is a bit of a bug with v2.6 where the Bible Gateway application does not work the first time you try. This creates the correct configuration (in ZWsettings.ini and bible_data.xml) and the next time you run the application it works.

You have three subfolders of ProgramData\Zionworx\2.6\. These are Backgrounds, Data and Temp (eventually). Temp is for PowerPoint thumbnails, and will contain up to 50 (by default). The thumbnails are recreated for each presentation you open and never deleted. So if you open a 40 slide presentaion you will get 40 files in this folder. If you then open a 30 slide presentation the first 30 files are for the new presentation and Slide31 to Slide40 will be from the previous etc.

Data contains the database and Backgrounds contains the images. The actual location of both Backgrounds and Data is stored in ZWsettings.ini and so does not need to be located here. All the other files need to be in this location (on Vista) or Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Zionworx\2.6 on XP (this second path is from memory, as I don't use XP if I can help it).
Brian Reid
brainier
Expert User

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support