Songs of Fellowship 5

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Songs of Fellowship 5

Postby davepartridge » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi,

Has anyone managed to load the words for Songs of Fellowship 5 into ZionWorx? We've got all of SoF 1-4 in the database but Kingsway only provide it in rtf on the CD. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
davepartridge
Senior

Re: Songs of Fellowship 5

Postby kjt » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Dave
I have managed to do save the rtf files to text files from MSWord, then wrote an awk/sed script that converted to files into XML as a (big) zionworx playlist. When this playlist is opened the songs get imported into your zionworx database.

I wrote and ran the script on windows using cygwin's shell/awk/sed which are free to download. They might work on unix too :-)

What would be the best way to share the script?
Regards
Keith
kjt
Junior

Postby davepartridge » Mon May 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Keith,

Would you be willing to send me the XML file if I PM you my e-mail address? I can then just pop it into ZionWorx. Alternatively I can send you my address and I can attempt to follow your instructions!

Cheers,

Dave
davepartridge
Senior

Postby kjt » Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Dave

It's a bit tricky with the copyright I would think if I gave out copies of tbe XML file.

I know for an earlier version someone provided a webpage with a conversion service - see http://www.steveprior.plus.com/zionworx/index.htm. Maybe someone could do the same sort of thing again?

I've attached the scripts in case anyone is interested
Regards
Keith
Attachments
sof5_convert.zip
Scripts for converting SOF 5 to Zionworx order of service XML file
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 1222 times
kjt
Junior

Postby Christian » Mon May 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi guys,

Sounds like you've done a great job Keith!

Can anyone think of a legal way to package this? It seems very frustrating when no doubt hundreds of us have bought the music book and words CD (I have) and yet it's not in a usable format...

I'm not familiar with awk/sed at all (sorry) but just wondering if there's a way to package it all simply in a way that the end user just needs to provide the original Word doc file from the CD and click 'Go'?

Mmmm...
Christian
Site Admin

Postby davepartridge » Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Presumably SongPro have got agreement from Kingsway to provide songbook files for download as the files are on their website. Would it be possible to achieve a similar agreement for ZionWorx?

I believe the previous website Steve Prior set up asked you to upload the rtf file and enter a number from the CD to verify ownership of the CD. I would imagine without much modification something similar could be achieved here?

I am happy to provide webspace (I have reseller hosting) but don't necessarily have the coding wherewithall to programme such a solution!
davepartridge
Senior

Postby kjt » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 am

While doing the sof5 conversion I found a typo in the first line of song #2291

GOD, BE MY HEAD and in my understanding

should be

GOD, BE IN MY HEAD and in my understanding

and I notified Kingsway – I’ve emailed the contact I had about the possibility of Kingsway making Zionworx format words available :-)

See what he comes back with!
Regards
Keith
kjt
Junior

Postby kjt » Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Dave

I've given the SoF5 Zionworx XML song file to Kingsway - if you would like a copy you should ask Kingsway for it - please email tym@kingsway.co.uk.

Regards
Keith
kjt
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue May 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Good job Keith!

:)
Christian
Site Admin

Postby davepartridge » Tue May 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks Keith - I've dropped them an e-mail.
davepartridge
Senior

Postby brainier » Sat May 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Me too
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby brainier » Mon May 28, 2012 8:24 am

And I got a response the next day with the file. I would suggest opening the XML file in an XML viewer first as the display of song titles might not be what you want. For example the titles all read (SoF5). Make changes as required. Make a backup of your song database and then do the import. If happy great - if not, then you have a backup to return to.

Some of the changes I made where swapping Title1 with Title2 (Title1 -> TitleX, Title2 -> Title1 and then TitleX -> Title2), removing " (SoF5)", Changing Copyright (c) " to "©", "<Copyright></Copyright>" to "<Copyright>Public Domain</Copyright>" and finally Sof #### to SoF #### to match our current database formats.

Thanks very much for the file Keith.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby davepartridge » Mon May 28, 2012 11:36 am

I did a similar thing by pulling the XML file into Microsoft Access and making a few tweaks in there - not ideal but it did the job, and got the file exactly as I wanted it. Now if only I'd done something similar with SoF4...!
davepartridge
Senior

Postby Christian » Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I just got my copy of the file from Kingsway.

I asked about the possibility of an arrangement to include a similar XML file with future publications in the SoF series, and they are going to discuss that internally and get back to me... here's hoping!

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support