Problem with background between Windows 7 and Windows XP

V2.6 Help, If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Problem with background between Windows 7 and Windows XP

Postby MartinB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I have recently replaced my home computer and am now using Windows 7. At church we are using Windows XP. I am having a problem with using backgrounds for songs. I usually prepare our service files at home and then transfer them onto the church computer.

This week we had a service where I tend to use backgrounds for all the songs. I set these up at home as usual. On transferring the service (playlist) file to the church computer, i found that none of the backgrounds were being displayed.

On investigating, it seems that the background folders are in different locations:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ZionWorx\2.6\Backgrounds\imported background\praise sunset.jpg

Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\ZionWorx\2.6\Backgrounds\imported background\praise sunset.jpg

Is there any way of making the path relative to the Zionworx "root" settings folder (similar to Powerpoint files), so that the details will transfer between operating systems, or is there any other trick I can use? I have noticed that the re-created XP version of the file works on Windows 7 displaying the backgrounds as expected.

Many thanks,
Martin Bloomfield
Martin Bloomfield
===============
Holy Trinity & St Wulstan, Heworth
York
MartinB
Junior

Re: Problem with background between Windows 7 and Windows XP

Postby brainier » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Move the background folder on the XP machine to match the folder on Win7 and then it will work - for you!

Or get the Sysinternals tool for making junction points (cant remember what its called - see www.sysinternals.com) and then you can make hard links on your file system to make folders appear in other locations.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby MartinB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, moving the folder on the windows XP machine is not an option as there are several other people who prepare the services on their machines as well and use the default folder location - I don't want to cause them problems in fixing mine!

I've looked that the junction program, but think that just creates an alternative name. I don't think this will help as the alternate name already exists (I can cd to the XP path and see the files I want).

What I need to do is get Zionworx (or Windows) to write the XP version of the folder name when it creates the XML file. Do you know if this is possible? If not, could it be an option that is added the the next updte of Zionworx - a setting to "use Windows XP folder names"?
Martin Bloomfield
===============
York
MartinB
Junior

Postby Christian » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi folks,

I've not come across this reported before... I thought that the image paths were all relative to the 'Backgrounds' folder wherever that is installed on each PC. I think I might be misunderstanding the problem you're reporting though?

Anyhow this is actually a very relevant issue for me at the moment because I'm implementing integrated video support now and considering how to reference (possibly large) video files that can be used as backgrounds.

Does anybody have any ideas on how media storage (images and videos) and referencing these files could be improved to help with play list transfer scenarios between PC's?

Please give me your ideas and we can make some improvements in this area!

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby MartinB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Christian,

thanks for the update. That is exactly the problem. I also thought the paths were relative, but they don't seem to be - unless copying the various setting files from XP to Windows 7 has corrupted something.

I did not have this problem initially as both computers (XP and Win7) have the same default style set, using a blue jpg background (which we use for 3 of our 4 monthly services). When creating service lists using this default (or any other named style - eg bible), then the settings seem to transfer between machines. The problem seems to happen when using "non-styled" backgrounds. On looking at the xml file, the path for the background is a fully detailed path, rather than a relating path. I suspect that this is causing the problem, as XP does not understand the C:\ProgramData folder name, and can't determine the base folder for the backgrounds, so uses its default styling (just guessing here!).

I have solved this problem for the moment by creating a PowerShell script that processes the xml file substituting the Path as appropriate. To do this automatically, I have incporporated the call to run Zionworx and the subsequent Powershell into a command file which I use instead of the standard Zionworx shortcut.

I would be happy to supply the two files if it is of use to anyone.

Maritn Bloomfield.
Martin Bloomfield
===============
York
MartinB
Junior

Postby Christian » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:41 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info - it looks like you've discovered a bug since all the paths in the XML should be relative.
I'll get a fix for that into the next release.

Please can you send me the files directly for reference?

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby MartinB » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Christian,

Many thanks for your reply. I have sent an email to you (via the address on the About Us page) with sample files, hopefully showing the problem.

Thanks for your help with this.
Martin Bloomfield
===============
York
MartinB
Junior

Postby Christian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Got it, thanks Martin.
I'll take a look shortly...

Cheers,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby brainier » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Christian wrote:Does anybody have any ideas on how media storage (images and videos) and referencing these files could be improved to help with play list transfer scenarios between PC's?

Integration with DropBox or similar. Upload at home, download at church and then just reference the local dropbox folder. Or download using the DropBox API if not installed at church.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Return to Zionworx V2.6 Support