Extra large Play List files

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Extra large Play List files

Postby Peter Kerrison » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi, we had a problem recently with Zionworx 2.5.06 where Powerpoint files where running really slowly. I checked Task Manager and found the CPU went to 100% usage when the PowerPoint files were running. After checking for viruses, spyware, reloading Office and reloading ZionWorx the problem was still there. However, I found that loading an early play list file was fine. Chcking the play list file size I found the early one was about 12K and the later one with the problem was over 300K.
Within the XML playlist file there are some lines that say:
<TTimer>
<Enabled>False</Enabled>
<Interval>0</Interval>
</TTimer>
The good file had two of these and the bad file had page after page after page of this code. I deleted the excess code to make it the same as the good file and everything worked just fine.
So my questions are:
What do these lines do and what could have caused so many repeat entries? I found four other files that had similar problems.
Peter Kerrison
Junior

Re: Extra large Play List files

Postby brainier » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Did the two playlist files (the 12K one and the +300K one) both reference the same PPT file? And if you create a new playlist now using the presentation that was mentioned in the +300K playlist does it generate a large playlist file from scratch?

The XML is probably related to the slide and animation timers functionality of PowerPoint. Do the files in the large playlists have lots of slide timeing, transitions and animations?
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Peter Kerrison » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Based on your questions I have gathered some further informatiom. I initially recreated the play list file with all the same PPT, song and image data. The file was a normal size. Most of the PPT files we use come from an existing folder that contains liturgy and welcome files that we re-use so I am confident that they are OK. Very few of the files have animation of any kind as they are mostly liturgy files but we have a dozen or so Welcome presentations that have animation and sound. The one for Christmas is packed full of it to keep the kids amused before the service starts. However, even using this file did not generate massive amounts of timer entries.
OK, that's the background. What I did then was to load the file created above back into Zionworx, make a minor change (song position) and save it. I did this several times and checked the play list file size and number of timer entries. Both increased. I did it again, loading a different play list file and then back to my test file where I changed and saved a number of times. Again the file size increased and the number of timer entries increased.
So it seems that if you create the playlist file and save it everything is fine but if you go back and modify it or create it over a few days then there is the possibility of the creating the problem I experienced.
I would still love to know the function of the timer entries.
Many thanks for your help with this.
Peter Kerrison
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:02 pm

In powerpoint, you have the option of manually advancing each slide or using timings. The entries you refer to merely reflect the settings in your presentation.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby Christian » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:52 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your investigation into this - this is very intruiging...
Do you still have the two play list files?
If so could you please email them to me?

I don't believe that the extra code you saw is actually related to PowerPoint - we will investigate this asap.

Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Peter Kerrison » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:48 am

Hi Christian, Yes I still have the files. please let me know where to send them.
Peter
Peter Kerrison
Junior

Postby Christian » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:14 am

Please send to christian.boxer@zionworx.org.uk
Thanks,
Christian.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby ChrisClark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 am

We are able to recreate this in 2.5 version. It is related to the way that the play list was being saved. (Though I was only able to get two TTimer entries regardless of how many times I rearranged and saved.)

In 2.6 the list is saved in a different way and this won't happen.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby Peter Kerrison » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for the info - I'll upgrade. I am surprised that you weren't able to get more timer entries - I had no problem. Maybe it is related to the number of PowerPoint files we use. Thanks again.
Peter
Peter Kerrison
Junior

Postby ChrisClark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Could be. I just had the one powerpoint file that I added to the list several times.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support