HELP - Hardrive Crash

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

HELP - Hardrive Crash

Postby ray goodwin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi All
Can anyone help please, my hard drive has crashed and I have lost 3,500 hymns I have been saving files as I have updated my Hymn List but every attempt to open one of these files it tells me they are corrupt and can't load.
I use 'Zion Works' at several places, hence the amount of Hymns installed so I am desperate to get these back in again.
The Hymn Books installed are:
The Salvation Army Song Book
Mission Praise
Songs of Fellowship
BBC Songs of Praise

If anyone can help please.
Thanks in advance

Regards

Ray Goodwin[/b]
ray goodwin
Junior

Postby Jonathan Hills » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:08 pm

I'm not clear what your problem is.
What's the connection between the hymn list and zionworx?
Where are the Hymns installed?
Can't you restore from a back up (you must have a backup somewhere for that number of hymns)?
Why can't you reinstall the hymn books?

A to disk corruption, this link http://philifusion.googlepages.com/powermax.htm
deals with problems with a maxtor drive and outlines a number of steps that can be followed. Though it is aimed at connecting a second hard drive, the principles are the same.
You could do a search for your hard drive to see if a similar utility is available.

This a a link to various hard drive utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby brainier » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 am

How are you trying to open the files? The song words database is not "opened" in the classic sense of opening a file. You set the preferences to the folder containing the database (or the restored backup of the database) and then restart Zionworx. You do not attempt to open individual files.

If you have lost them all, and have no backup, no-one can give you a copy of their song database as it is illegal to give away copyrighted material, even if (though I do find this odd) both parties have a CCL licence number.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby Jonathan Hills » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:20 pm

A week on and no reply. I thought you were 'desperate' Ray. Was our advice helpful; unhelpful; seemed helpful but you didn't understand it; other.
It would be nice to know and would inform future responses.
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Hard drive crash

Postby ray goodwin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Jonathan and all
Sorry for no reply had my head down compiling a new database from scratch again using the Salvation Army Song Book, Mission Praise and the BBC Songs of Praise Hymn Book.
Nearly finished thank goodness.
Before the crash I saved my last database to two external drives neither of which would reload after the crash said they were both corrupt.
Anyway thanks for all the help given.

Regards

Ray Goodwin
ray goodwin
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support