Possible DB Utility for ZionWorx 2.5?

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Possible DB Utility for ZionWorx 2.5?

Postby Peter_in_Christ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:15 pm

Hello,

Having been away for a while doing other things i.e. currently training to be an Operating Department Practitioner and etc, I just to get a consensus on things with regards to Database utilities....

I'm considering whether to upgrade the txt2db utility to support Zionworx 2.5. With user friendliness in mind.

things to consider:
- what files do you want to convert? Preformated docs (would require a sample of the format), txt files, and etc
- what do you want to do with the files? edit? modify? merge?
- etc... what people currently do tediously which can be simplified...

If there is some interest in such an upgrade to the previous version, do post a response here, I may then start developing it during my spare time as it will continually enhance my programming skills for a software I'm planning to develop in my field of working: heathcare related...

What did you think of the old...?

Kindest Regards,

Peter
\o/ The Lord is Gracious and Compassionate, Slow to anger and Rich in Love. \o/
Peter_in_Christ
Senior

Postby petercounter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Peter - I did not use your previous utility, but we could certainly use some DB Utilities for 2.5!

The most pressing would be to convert the 2.5 data format into some other format editable by standard DB editors (eg dBASE or even csv) - a reverse DBconv tool. We could then export our current database to some standard DB tooling (eg Access), add in new songs (eg Songs of Fellowship 4 is now out), de-duplicate, merge, edit etc, and then re-import into Zionworx. The built-in editor is fine for individual songs, but not for any bulk operations. For example, when using 2.0, I added the original SoF song numbers into the alternative title... took about 10 minutes in an old copy of Lotus Approach, but would have been impractical song-by-song in Zionworx.

Another useful set of utilities would take the standard flat file words from the CDs that come with major songbooks, and convert them ready for import. I did this using a programmable editor for Songs of Fellowship, Soul Survivor etc, but the method is not transferrable to someone else and there was quite a lot of manual cleanup to do where the flat files did not use consistent layouts on all songs. You could make the utilities available without having to re-distribute the copyright text itself.

Peter Counter
Milford Baptist Church
petercounter
Junior

Postby Peter_in_Christ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input... more the merrier :-)

1. converting 2.5 data <--> cvs (more open) and or even Access (one needs to purchase) directly is possible.

2. I need the file structures or a copy of the file that comes with the cd without the copyright songs so I can see examples of the layout and test as I program as I do not have them myself.

3. Can anyone at zionworx imform me of the database structure you currently use for v2.5? otherise it'll take me a bit more time to find out if/when I start out the project after receiving a bit more feedback...

Many thanks.

Peter
Peter_in_Christ
Senior

Postby Christian » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi folks,

I've been thinking for some time now that what would be really neat is an ActiveX wrapper around the database access layer in ZionWorx. This would take the form of a single lightweight DLL that could be used from any programming environment/language/script etc to read or write to a database from a 3rd party application. This would open the data format up to others who wish to write conversion routines.

Once we have completed testing and release of v2.6 (surely before Christmas!!) then I am thinking of focusing on this.

Thoughts?
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Peter_in_Christ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:49 am

This could simplify a lot of things with regards to programming and portability for future versions of Zionworx hopefully... I would still like to know the database structure to understand and keep in mind it's limitation while I'm programming... will you be able to supply me this info?

Peter
Peter_in_Christ
Senior

Postby AliBy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:22 pm

Christian wrote:Once we have completed testing and release of v2.6 (surely before Christmas!!) then I am thinking of focusing on this.

Christian, has the Beta Testing program gone to sleep? I have seen no activity there and with the pending v2.6 I would have expected some?

:?:
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby brainier » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Beta testing still going fine - apart from the fact I keep finding issues for the guys to fix!

Sorry! But when done it will work on Vista and XP, will work for multiple logged in users, will have the nice new feature that Christian referred to in another post(!!!), will install correctly and PPT 2007 will work too!

The last beta I got was so considerably better than the first I got in August that Christmas is a good target I guess.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby AliBy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 am

brainier wrote:Beta testing still going fine - apart from the fact I keep finding issues for the guys to fix! ....

.... The last beta I got was so considerably better than the first I got in August that Christmas is a good target I guess.

Beta Testing Going Fine?
... but I don't see any movement in the Beta forum (http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=5) or on the Beta Test Page (http://www.zionworx.org.uk/beta/), not even on the Bug Tracker page 9http://www.zionworx.org.uk/beta.htm) ?

Perhaps I missed something, since I registered as Beta tester?
Brainer, Where do you get the beta from?
:?
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 am

Hi. Version 2.6 is an addition of one major piece of functionality (bible integration) and some minor updates - as well as better Vista compatibility.

As such there hasn't been a full beta release to the list of people. Brainier drew the short straw as he had spent a lot of time investigating the Vista issues prior to us sourcing a Vista laptop.

We thought it would be more efficient just getting feedback from one person - specifically around vista - as well as our own internal testing, rather than receiving a number of opinions/suggestions from a larger group.
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby AliBy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Thanks Chris.

It's a good way of getting the next version and keeping the process simple and focused. In OSS terms we would say that a "freaze" was put on v2.6 (i.e. no more feature changes). Beta Testing at that stage would simply focus on showstopper bug finding before it is released. Without major changes that may or may not be a concern

Appreciate the response and look forward to the next release.
:D

I am curious though as to whether the OSIS format was used or the Sword Project modules?
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Postby ChrisClark » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:34 pm

The Sword Project files are in their own custom format which we couldn't make use of..

We approached the issue by implementing an extensible framework that various formats can be added to. Currently we have our own bible database format and also the OSIS 2 format supported. OSIS is a little tricky as we only have 2 examples available for us.. if you know of any other OSIS bibles that are available please let us know and we can test them with ZW.

The potential is other formats can be included in subsequent releases if required..
ChrisClark
Site Admin

Postby AliBy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes, the Sword Project modules are in their own format, but there are a number of different programs that read the files in their native modular format - I thought that being open source it was pretty well documented. I suppose there's no problem "really"- just a little more work - as being open source there are alot of tools around.

I posted a comprehensive method of converting the Sword Project Modules to OSIS in the Beta section just after the Bible Beta 0.3 was released. http://www.zionworx.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116
This opens the door for many modules and many languages.

I would recommend sticking with an "OpenSource" concept and providing the tools for people to converte and post modules that others could access and use. It takes the hassle out of your hair and lets other enjoy making valuable contributions!

AliBy wrote:Some Links that should provide initial explaination:

:arrow: The Sword Project is an opensource development of an electronic bible to get the WORD around. You can download the program and modules (bibles, comentaries, dictionaries, daily deveotions etc.) from the site: http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp
:?: All the bibles there have been distributed by the relevant publishers for non commercial use or are in the public domain.

:idea: Osis has a web page (portal) which has quite a few bibles that you can download - already in the required format (Christian has given us that link: ( http://whi.wts.edu/OSIS/Projects/Markup/docs ). There are tools ( http://whi.wts.edu/OSIS/Projects/Markup/tools ) that can convert directly from the Sword modules to the Osis format (viz. mod2osis.exe and swicu20.dll). Just Place mod2osis.exe in the sword directory and run it from a dos command.

:?: There is a script (YCHBibleConverter.zip) originally written for "Palm Bible Reader" that can convert text, in the correct tag format, to the PalmBible format or Sword format (amongst others). You can get it at http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/files.htm. Note that the updated convertor "BibleConverter.1.0.release.4.zip" doesn't have the ability to convert to sword I don't think.
:idea: Note that "Palm Bible Reader" is superceded by PalmBible+ ( http://palmbibleplus.sourceforge.net/ ) also excellent opensource Bible software for the Palm OS!

:!: Now we've got the potential to have a bible in almost any language projected for all to see - really useful especially when you are preaching / teaching to a foreign audience!

You just need the Text, Time, Tools and Tolerance (= permission from publishers where they haven't already allowed it). Ta-ta!
:wink:
Alistair Baty
Urban Life Church
Midrand
South Africa
AliBy
Senior

Re: Possible DB Utility for ZionWorx 2.5?

Postby brainier » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm

As for the request for an update to Txt2db - yes please!

I am trying to import SoF4 (see elsewhere on this forum) and the problem is that different songs have different formats in the file they provide (and its a rtf document, not really a database) but also now provided are some HTML files.

The format for these so that Txt2Db would read them and insert them into more than just the Memo field in that application is as below:

Text File from Word Macro Convertor
Code: Select all
SoF XXXX TITLE IN UPPER CASE
Authors Names

Verse 1 Line 1
Verse 1 Line 2
Verse 1 Line 3
Verse 1 Line 4
etc
#
Verse 2 Line 1
Verse 2 Line 2
Verse 2 Line 3
Verse 2 Line 4
Verse 2 Line 5
##Copyright © yyyy copyright and administrators names

HTML Version from CD
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>XXXX TITLE IN UPPER CASE</title>
<link href="../../_styles/standard.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body class="style4">
<table width="750" border="0">
  <tr>
    <td width="58" valign="top" class="songNo"><p>XXXX</p>    </td>
    <td width="682" class="verse"><p>Authors Name<br />
    Copyright © YYYY Administrator and Copyright Information</p></td>