Powerpoint file causes large pagefile usage

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

Powerpoint file causes large pagefile usage

Postby Kevin Millican » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:28 pm

We have noticed quite severe performance problems when using large Powerpoint files from within Zionworx.

A 24MB Powerpoint presentation took about 30 seconds to load within Zionworx and resulted in a Pagefile (virtual memory) usage of approximately 1.2GB when viewed within Zionworx. It seems that each time Zionworx switches to the Powerpoint file, it does some sort of conversion because the CPU usage repeatedly jumps to 100% - possibly while each page is examined?

When the same Powerpoint file is displayed separately to Zionworx (even if it is also running), the pagefile is not used at all and the presentation loads nearly instantaneously.

Our system uses a 1.8GHz Athlon, 512MB of RAM, and a 140GB Barracuda UDMA HDD with plenty of space.

Obviously one workaround is to just use Zionworx for song display, and to run Powerpoint separately for presentations, but it would be nice to find a solution. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Kevin Millican
Junior

Postby webmaster » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:37 pm

Zionworx does create a image of each slide in it's temp directory however if the ppt file has lots of images maybe this is why it is starting to fall over.

I will try and create a large PPT and see if my machines both do the same thing.

Regards
Edd Stonham
Webmaster
Webdesign and hosting http://www.hairydogdesigns.com We can design FLash, Standard HTML and CMS sites using PHP and MySQL systems. For a Quote feel free to email Sales@hairydogdesigns.com
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Millican » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:58 pm

webmaster wrote:I will try and create a large PPT and see if my machines both do the same thing.

I've sent you a private message with a link to the Powerpoint file.
Kevin Millican
Junior

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support