sound problems

V2.5 If you need help and cannot find it in the FAQ area of this forum feel free to ask the question and someone will reply back.

Moderators: webmaster, Christian, Kuok-Tim, ChrisClark, Forum Support

sound problems

Postby jamesp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 pm

When I play a PowerPoint in Zionworx with a music background the sound goes momentarily silent. This happens maybe three or four times in a 3 minute song.
I've tried closing off other programs but it makes no difference.
Any ideas welcome!
jamesp
Intermediate

Postby Jonathan Hills » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am

What happens when you play it from powerpoint without zionworx running?
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby jamesp » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:06 pm

Good question - it is just the same, which would seem to demonstrate that the problem has nothing to do with Zionworx. It's still a pain though.
jamesp
Intermediate

Postby Jonathan Hills » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:58 pm

So, hopefully it is just that sound file that is corrupt. Failing that you may need to update your driver or worse replace your soundcard (not sure what you do if the sound is onboard though!)
Jonathan Hills
Most Senior

Postby jamesp » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 pm

thanks!

Latest update - it's not just to do with sound. I tried playing a DVD through the computer system and the same thing happened. The pictures froze at the same time as the sound went quiet. (though only when I'm working dual screen with the laptop and the projector - dual screen with the laptop and a simple computer monitor seems to work fine.)

I'm just back from Spring Harvest and some folks there suggested a couple of things. I'll try them and report back!
jamesp
Intermediate

Postby jamesp » Fri May 05, 2006 10:21 am

I think I have at last cracked this and I offer my solution for anyone who is interested.

We use a laptop at church which I take home and which is set up to work with my wireless network. Result: when I use it away from home it keeps trying to find the network. This doesn't cause any obvious problems when using Zionworx to show songs or simple powerpoints, but anything with an audio track noticeably skips while the computer looks for the network. Solution: stop Windows from trying to connect to the network (via the Control Panel).

Well I think that is right anyway. It's working fine today - let's see if it works on Sunday.
jamesp
Intermediate

Postby brainier » Sat May 06, 2006 9:14 am

If that is the answer then you might want to configure hardware profiles in XP. In System Properties and Device Manager you can set different hardware only to operate at different times.

First you need to make a hardware profile called (for example) "At Church". This is done via the System Properties dialog (press the Windows Key+Break key and select the Hardware tab and click Hardware Profiles). Copy your current profile using the Copy button and name it "At Church". Click Properties and ensure that the option to Always Include This Profile As An Option When Windows Starts is selected. Click OK and ensure that the option Select The First Profile Listed If I Don't Select A Profile In is chosen. Move the item that represents the profile that you use most to the top of the list. Click OK. You are now back on the Hardware tab of the System Properties dialog.

Next you need to reboot your computer and choose the At Church profile when it boots.

Finally you need to configure your wireless network card by clicking Device Manager (Windows Key+Break and select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager) and double-clicking the wireless card (located under Network Adapters). On the General tab of the wireless card properties page choose Do Not Use This Device In The Current Hardware Profile (Disable). Now click OK or close to shutdown all open windows and dialogs boxes.

Now when you turn on the computer at the church you do not have a working wireless network, but when you turn it on a home (or whereever you pick the other profile option) then you will have a working wireless network.
Brian Reid
Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Oxford, UK
http://wrbc.org.uk/
brainier
Expert User

Postby jamesp » Mon May 08, 2006 11:45 am

Yippeee!

It all works. No skipping at all on Sunday!

Looking back at my old posts I got muddled because I thought the problem occurred because I plugged in the projector. Wrong! It happened because I was at church and not at home.

Thanks for the idea - I'll give it a try.
jamesp
Intermediate

Return to Zionworx V2.5 Support